News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Room of the Week 2011 - Archives

Started by Phazar, January 02, 2011, 09:01:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snarfblam

MetroidMst

Went with GFKennon. Grime was a very close second as I tend to love his rooms, and I personally didn't feel it was similar to his other entries. But the curtom GFX Kennon used are superb.

DSO

Darksamus: Very interesting. I really like the "corners" of the room, where the doors are. The straight paths in-between are helped by the BG but they don't look the greatest. They are, probably, just fine when running through.

Acheron: I recall seeing this image on M2k2 a long time ago if I'm not mistaken, although that one showed scroll areas IIRC. I bet it looks even more awesome ingame >_>

GF_Kennon: I would have to look through a telescope to examine all the detail you've put into those tiles. You've won my vote.

Grime: For some reason, it looks like regular Super Metroid to me in style. It just yells "I am Craterian Tunnel!". I am curious how you got the doors off-center like that, though.

Crashtour99

Quote from: DSO on June 09, 2011, 05:27:37 PM
I am curious how you got the doors off-center like that, though.
IIRC it has to do with the door's Xi/Yi position that micromanage where on the particular screen the doorcap will open/close.  If you're not using doorcaps, then it's not an issue having the openings off center.

As for RotW, like most I had to go with Kennon's because holy crap that tileset!

Daltone

Holy Shitcicles, That's not even fair GF_Kennon! First thing I thought when i saw those symbols was Thundercats.

But If it wasn't there I'd vote Acheron, Great stuff here though it seems weird to have a air wall. Might just be me though.

Grime's looking good as usual.

DarkSamus' room is pretty good, I don't like the big blue shaft in the center no because of looks, I just don't like walking behind stuff. Make me think it's solid, Unless it is solid then good job champ!

MetroidMst

X-tradyte

Qactis

DS both your BG and FG could use more variety and/or tiles Metroid I like it though not the biggest fan of that bright blue palette

Quietus

DS: I think you should redo those protrusions along the ground.  I can see that you just copied and pasted (and flipped) them, and you should really try to make them all individual.

X-tradyte

I see what you mean, but I just wanted to do it for this room, I would've had something Eris like, if Dman showed me the ways of alien art and stuff..

begrimed

Charmander106

X-tradyte

Aww fuck you guys....>:( Grime you always ruin it, and Webber you're starting to become Grime2

Lunaria

[spoiler=Wild Cryshi joins the fray!][/spoiler]

Quietus

Webber for me.  You have a natural talent for recognising what looks good, even though it can easily be done poorly.  The only suggestion I'd make for that room would be to possibly have the main colours bleed into each other a little more.  For example, where the blue meets the green.

X-tradyte

I see Ice Metal 2 is coming along nicely, I'm voting for Webber, mainly because, those Brinstar slopes are just sex to my eyes, and what Quietus said.

Sorry Cryshi, you'd get my vote, if you didn't put the bridge fade-out tiles, in the middle of the room...

ProjectXVIII

I think the fade-out tiles are supposed to be where the bridge is broken/destroyed.

Anyway, voted Webber because dem slopes.

Lunaria

That is not a moon Ice metal 2, it's a space station! wet dreams 2, a mini hack I started yesterday in order to test a few ideas I got.

And the bridge tiles look quite good in-game so I honestly see no reason to qq about it. ;)

X-tradyte

"See it to believe it" Thats what I need to do. until then, Idk if I can see how it is good in-game. ;)

Qactis

Quote from: Crys on June 13, 2011, 01:47:31 PM
That is not a Ice metal 2

Like the room besides the doors IMO. Love Webber's room a LOT, but it's vanilla and Grime wins my vote by originality and awesome tile combinations.

X-tradyte

Quote from: Qactis on June 13, 2011, 02:02:09 PM
but it's vanilla

Does it really matter that much? The room is still amazingly sex.

Qactis

After you've played SM a hundred times and played just about every hack out there you get tired of the original graphics. Over at SMWC people are expected to make graphics for their hacks. Vanilla hacks are becoming less and less common

Quietus

I tend to disagree with the 'no vanilla' thing.  I found the same problem when looking for Super Mario World hacks.  I wanted a continuation of the game I loved, but found that most hacks were too different to recognise.  The only one I remember as being really true to the original was Return to Dinosaur Land.  The same could be said of hacks here.  I believe DMantra is generally regarded as being one of the best room builders here, and yet I don't think he's made any custom tiles at all.  Does that mean the hacks aren't as good?  I think not.  You could have all the tiles in the world, and still make rubbish rooms.  You could also use the vanilla tiles, and create great rooms.

Silver Skree

If you can take vanilla resources and make something that outshines a similar work using custom/altered resources, then that only speaks to the quality of your vanilla work.

Webber shows us that he doesn't need to draw (many) new tiles or mix and match (many) vanilla tiles from different sets (or even change the palette (much) at all, for that matter) to make a sweet-looking room.

Staying true to my signature, it's not about which room is superior, though. It's about which room is most impressive. In spite of this, and for the reasons mentioned above, Webber gets my vote this week.