News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Room of the Week 2011 - Archives

Started by Phazar, January 02, 2011, 09:01:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MetroidMst

That would be because they... are identical. The only difference is you obviously appear in front of and behind the respective layers. Doesn't quite look the greatest here, but I don't believe there'll be too much dificulty in telling the two apart in-game.

Hiroshi Mishima

Understandable, and yet another example of why I feel that sometimes, we need more than just a png.

Zhs2

Hiroshi Mishima

I would love to post a video, but when I go to record, my framerate drops to a snail's pace. :(

MetroidMst

Quote from: Zhs2 on May 08, 2011, 07:49:43 PM
Vid! Vid! Vid! Vid!
Sorry, but I must decline. That is a special room as it is the only one of its kind for the area and I'd rather not spoil it.

Digital_Mantra

Mst, I'm guessing the fx dampers the same bg colour as the fg.
Cause it seems like one of those 'pics can't do it justice' rooms.

IMetroRat

Well, to tell you the truth the both rooms Need work. (No Offense)

- Hiroshi
   Your room is good but it needs work, Ex for the tiles surrounding the outlaying tiles need a pallet change
  But it's looking good outside of that! Keep it up~ XP

- MetroidMist
   Honestly I think your Tile set is too bland (No offense) That's all... Otherwise Good! :P

Well, in my opinion Hiroshi you gets my vote Good job~

~ Metrorat ~

Black Falcon

Quote from: IMetroRat on May 11, 2011, 01:00:06 AM
Well, to tell you the truth the both rooms Need work. (No Offense)
^ Agreed.

While Hiroshi's room needs more tile variation, MetroidMst's room needs a proper background.
Otherwise there's nothing to complain about the two rooms.
Mst got my vote.

Lunaria

Hiroshi: It seams the that room is mainly a speed block that forces the player to have speed booster. But that does not mean the room have to be plain on the sides. In fact, you could make it a normal shaft with speed booster blocks in the middle, and midway up there is something that blocks the path and only then will the player realize what they have to do, sorta adds more gameplay. Regardless, the room looks very plain as it is, on the flip side, it does not take up much space. :p

Mst: The design seams rather all over the place and not very focused on what you want the room to do.

MultiK1llZ

Anyone miss me?  :grin:

[spoiler][/spoiler]

snarfblam

Quote from: MultiK1llZ on May 23, 2011, 12:08:26 AM
Anyone miss me?  :grin:
Back for another multi-kill, eh? Room's pretty sweet. Points for being generous with the Easter-eggs. But the openings in the wall in the background have a dark, blocky border. It's hard to notice one one of my monitors, bit it sticks out like a sore thumb on my main monitor.

FullOfFail

What Snarf said. The inconsistent coloration of the black tiles are a huge turnoff. The actual room layout looks good though. Snarf wins this round for me.

Zhs2

The blackground tiles, Multik1llZ! THE BLACKGROUND TILES! THE HORRORRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Digital_Mantra

Spelling your name uses tilespace.
Tilespace.

Do you know what you can do with that space?
Stuff.

*voted multilespace killer

MultiK1llZ

For all of you, those are supposed to be bricks but i think they are too dark now that you mention it.  :neutral:

As for other things, HOW MANY TIMES WILL I HAVE TO COMPETE WITH SNARF.  :whoa:

Holy Sh*t, Snarf you give me a run for my money, or ROTW..  :grin:

X-tradyte

I think it's because, well....not that you suck at making rooms, personally they are excellent rooms, but I thinks that its just that, its snarf.
If you want to compete with snarf,you'll need support from SM fans, and win over the M1 fans.

I voted for multik1llz.

Zhs2

Why do we need to be from different camps? They're all the Metroids we love and know, right? Sure M1 might not look as good, but it's certainly easy to figure out that it takes about the same effort to make the game look good as it does with SM. :wink:

snarfblam

Quote from: MultiK1llZ on May 25, 2011, 04:47:07 PM
For all of you, those are supposed to be bricks but i think they are too dark now that you mention it.
It's not the bricks I'm looking at. Like I said, this looks okay on one monitor, but stands out on the next. So if it doesn't stand out on your monitor, here is what it looks like on mine:

Digital_Mantra

Rooms on different monitors can be tricky for level design.
For instance, I had no idea my dranaphen region in eris had so many black tiles not dark enough to suit the rest.

What we need here is one monitor to rule them all.

Parabox

ProjectXVIII

You guys have incredibly bright monitors, I can't even see the border.

Zhs2

Even if that screenshot is pretty damn bright, much brighter than seen on this end, I can still point out the difference between the borders and the background in the original screenshot. CRT much?

X-tradyte

Oooooo, It's 50-50 guys, I really hope this week doesn't end in tie. Hey, Zeke, Has any week so far end in a tie?