News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Room of the Week 2011 - Archives

Started by Phazar, January 02, 2011, 09:01:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Katelyn

Quote from: DarkSamus on March 24, 2011, 06:01:04 PM
uhh.....WTF? cucumber? is it me, or is gunnar officially drunk and lost?
Nah, he's cool.

Quotealso because I think they could all have better level design. :P

IMetroRat

squishy_ichigo

Quote from: Zhs2 on March 23, 2011, 09:34:40 PM
I got mad when the poll decided to randomly fuck with me earlier and throw out poll options on me and just said whatever.

Did that shit to me every week.

Katelyn

Also,

For those asking, yes, the parts of the room DO connect in some way, but not together. You cannot reach the right from the left. It's two rooms in one, in a sense.

X-tradyte

Quote from: Shadox on March 24, 2011, 06:40:17 PM
Quote from: DarkSamus on March 24, 2011, 06:01:04 PM
uhh.....WTF? cucumber? is it me, or is gunnar officially drunk and lost?
Nah, he's cool.

Quotealso because I think they could all have better level design. :P

Quote from: IMetroRat on March 24, 2011, 07:06:10 PM
QuoteNah, he's cool.

...Ok then...
Quote from: squishy_ichigo on March 24, 2011, 07:37:20 PM
Quote from: Zhs2 on March 23, 2011, 09:34:40 PM
I got mad when the poll decided to randomly frak with me earlier and throw out poll options on me and just said whatever.

Did that shit to me every week.
Aw, Poor Squishy! D;
Quote from: Shadox on March 24, 2011, 09:13:37 PM
Also,

For those asking, yes, the parts of the room DO connect in some way, but not together. You cannot reach the right from the left. It's two rooms in one, in a sense.
Pointing out the obvious. Some of us already knew that because of how the level design was made.

Scyzer

For people complaining about the cut off in my pic...
You CANNOT see this in the game. I would've thought that would be blatantly obvious. I left the 2 lines there because I didn't think edited pics were allowed.

So my question is this: Are we allowed to resize pics with paint before entry to cut off extra lines?

FullOfFail

Quote from: Sadiztyk Fish on March 25, 2011, 09:37:54 AM
So my question is this: Are we allowed to resize pics with paint before entry to cut off extra lines?

I don't see why it'd be an issue, assuming nobody tries modify the content. A trained-eye will usually catch most of that anyway though. Just clipping the borders doesn't necessarily count as modifying it imo. Just improving the quality of your presentation. I'd suggest finishing it in smile though, just so you get the proper dimensions.

Lunaria

FoF: the point is, it IS finished in smile, adding more detail to where the screen does not show is pointless, or rather, it's a waste of space since your room will take up more data and it's not even going to be seen. :p

I figured this out as soon as I saw the image, anyone with experience with smile and super metroid hacking should have too.

FullOfFail

Crys: Adding extra detail/completing the room isn't pointless if you're entering it into a contest. I used to do it all the time. I would remove doors, push the data over it's limit adding detail, ect, just to enter them sometimes. But, we're getting a bit sidetracked, Sadi was just asking if it was ok to crop the rooms slightly, and my contention is yes.

Silver Skree

I've cropped rows and columns of unused screens and rows of unseen tiles off of several entries before. Nobody should have a problem with it.

Katelyn

Quote from: DarkSamus on March 25, 2011, 04:48:13 AM
QuoteFor those asking, yes, the parts of the room DO connect in some way, but not together. You cannot reach the right from the left. It's two rooms in one, in a sense.
Pointing out the obvious. Some of us already knew that because of how the level design was made.

Pointing out the obvious.

MultiK1llZ

Where have I seen that Tile set before? it looks awful familiar..  :neutral:

snarfblam

Not my very best work, but I just couldn't stand how empty this thread was.

Parabox

At least it's not your standard ITEM GET room. Decent use of stuff and things.

Zhs2

CHOZO TABLET

Otherwise, that's a kickass room. We need some competitors to go with it.

Lunaria

Looks almost like a secret drop down or enemy spawn point in the middle of the rooms ceiling. :p

ProjectXVIII

Yo.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

If anybody's wondering what the "elevator part" by the top left door is, it's a barrier that changes with the roomstate.

X-tradyte

I really hope i'm not too late, I just finished this room. I hope its good!

Vuallah:[spoiler][/spoiler]

Enjoy! ^.^

Quietus

I'm confused.  In VideoGeemer's post here it looks like you're using 22.5 degree slopes in your hack, yet in that room you seem to be back to the standard 45 degree slopes.  Are you using them, not using them, or using a mixture..?

X-tradyte

Well, Its a new week of RotW, I am glad to be the first to post ^.^
Without further ado:

snarfblam: Your room is excellent, I'm glad you're making them look like rooms, and not just item rooms. But the Chozo Tablet just turns me off. :( 8/10

ProjectXVIII: Your room....is...just absolute sex. I'm loving it(and not McD's either) I really wish to see more of your work, Great job! 10/10

DarkSamus: What is this crap, You can do better, I know you can, C'mon Foo' Step your game up. Next time try harder. 7/10

Quietus

DS: You didn't answer my question.  Check the archives! :^_^:

snarfblam

Just to be clear, that's not a Chozo tablet. It's just an item container that happens not to be spherical.

DarkSamus: Looks like there's improvement. It would have gone a long way if you cropped off that top part of the room. Whether or not it's part of the playable room, it looks unfinished and detracts from the rest of your room.

Project, I like the overall mood. More so, I like what you've done at the bottom.

X-tradyte

Quote from: Quietus on April 11, 2011, 04:39:36 PM
DS: You didn't answer my question.  Check the archives! :^_^:
I saw it and I'll PM your answer :P

FullOfFail

Snarf: I have no problems with the initial design (btw loved the animated water vid), but I'm wondering if it would be better to flip the top tiles upside down so that the brighter edges are facing down, if that makes sense. Never messed with NEStroid, so it's hard for me to give detailed criticisms.

Project: I'm a fan of the coloration here. It has contrast, yet maintains a natural feeling. Obviously the sun is setting, and you need to dig a hole befo... wait, wrong game. Anyway, the gradients for the rocks turned out well too. I see nothing in particular to whine about. Good job, you got my vote.

Dark Samus: I'm not a fan of the coloration here. The rocks should either be primarily green, or primarily brown, it seems like you tried to do both, and it just doesn't look right. The grass isn't really the right coloration for the environment neither. Lastly, the sky... it just doesnt go along with the FG tileset at all. I'd highly recommend you recolor this room. The layout of the room isn't bad though, just need to work on small aesthetics like the rock gradient shading.