News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Room of the Week 2011 - Archives

Started by Phazar, January 02, 2011, 09:01:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MultiK1llZ

Uhh, did I just get the first triple ROTW WIN in MetConst history? If so, I feel special  :lol:

Also, I may not participate in ROTW as much as i used to due to TOO MUCH MINECRAFT.  :whoa:

MultiK1llZ

Yo mofos, got some more sexy rooms coming with my new and extremely secret hack. Have a look :P

[spoiler= For all you ROTW followers..][/spoiler]
If any of you are reading this, you are wasting your time, also, you just lost the game :P Haha..

Charmander106

Scyzer

Well I think it's safe to say no one will beat that. I do think that a lot of the piping is rather useless architecture though. Why go up and down and all over the place when for whatever purpose they serve it's simpler and more efficient to go straight across?

MultiK1llZ

I am kinda scared to post but:  :whoa:

[spoiler][/spoiler]

EDIT: If only there was a ROTW-in-a-row award..

Digital_Mantra

While Webber's room was lush, it felt a bit overboard with multi-layering. Part of a great aesthetic multi-layerd room is knowing when to stop, when it feels just right.

Multikill's room was a fun take on water depth and the eerie shrubs that's follows. I also dig the palette.

I really want to vote for Webber but he already did an overkill layered room under the same theme so I'll have to go with what's fresh. Multi takes my vote.

Webber's room is still god tier though. Just a bit too much.

MetroidMst

Going with Webber this week. That room is just plain amazing.

I also find it ironic DMan says you went a bit overboard...

FullOfFail

Webber gets my vote. I'm always a fan of multilayers, and it's also aesthetically pleasing. Something about the contrast in Multik1llZ' entry doesnt sit right with me. I think it's the brightness of the brown against the dark green walls. Just kinda looks strange. But that's just my opinion, take it with a grain of salt.

MultiK1llZ

I guess its pretty fair to say I have a very little chance of winning  :cry: , but now that I have opinions, I have changed the sand palette and made it super sexy.  :lol: So all in all, I am pretty happy to achieve a 4-in-a-row ROTW win and hope every one keeps making newer and better rooms  :grin:

-MultiK1llZ

Lunaria

Multi's palette is perfect with the right FX palette.

A lot of people just seam to look at the screen and judge it based on how it look, rather then imagining how it plays in-game, both from an artistic point, and from a gameplay point. :/

FullOfFail

Quote from: Crys on February 25, 2011, 06:14:14 PM
A lot of people just seam to look at the screen and judge it based on how it look, rather then imagining how it plays in-game, both from an artistic point, and from a gameplay point. :/

Well, considering the face-value appearance is all we have to go by, that's understandable. Ingame, it could look TOTALLY different due to FX1, but we just cant determine that. Too many variables. If the appearance changes that dramatically ingame, then maybe a screenshot or video of the gameplay/FX1 should accompany it. Still, I stand by my vote and comments.

Katelyn

Quote from: Crys on February 25, 2011, 06:14:14 PM
Multi's palette is perfect with the right FX palette.

Well, yes. But, RotW isn't taken from gameplay points, nor FX. It would be pretty difficult to judge something that way, let alone with all the variables, like what FoF said.
I just can't see how judging in-game is what RotW is about. I always assumed it was which room looked the best without FX and such.

Lunaria

Possibly, but I always assumed RotW was made to encourage people to make the rooms in their hack look good, not that they would have a good face value. :/

What's the point spending ages on a awesome looking room in face value, when it does not look that good ingame, nor does it play very well? To get people to be amazed at you, to get compliments? :/

You can say all you want about face value, but the fact is, most entries here are hacks that are also designed to be played. You may judge entries however you want, it's your vote. But personally, I don't think you should look past the gameplay designs either as well as how they will look ingame.

FullOfFail

I'm not implying that the room should only look good at face value. I'm just saying from a judging standpoint, you can't expect us to use our imagination of all the different FX1, and other things that may only be noticeable ingame. If you're talking about room layout in terms of exploration, I do always take that into consideration. Many of times I mentioned that a room looks fun to play, and gave it points for that. But, my critique this time around was of the pallet colors, which usually stays the same ingame, for the most part. But, my point is ultimately this isn't a gameplay competition, it's a design competition. People have entered rooms that are virtually unplayable, but beautiful and won in the past.

Lunaria

A tip is to set brightness to "normal" before entering a room. :<

Katelyn

No offense, but...
That room is exactly the same as before, just re-textured. Not sure many are going to vote for that...

Lunaria

That's like saying all those nestroid remakes look bad as they all use the same room layout as the nestroid. :P

snarfblam

Quote from: Crys on February 26, 2011, 11:13:02 AM
That's like saying all those nestroid remakes look bad as they all use the same room layout as the nestroid. :P
Yeah! Wait... what?

inb4 multi ruins rotw for everyone else
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Quietus

jeff: .bmp is never really a preferred format.  Most people round 'ere use .png.

Crys: You forgot to mention the above.  Also, you need a .jpegesque picture for the .bmp monster. :heheh:

Snarf: That room looks great.  I particularly like the light coloured rocks in the walls.

DSO

I make a modest return to RotW.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Lunaria

Quote from: Quietus on February 26, 2011, 03:06:21 PM
Crys: You forgot to mention the above.  Also, you need a .jpegesque picture for the .bmp monster. :heheh:

.bmp is not really a terrible format to save in beside the file size. It's just that most online sites converts them to jpg or jpeg which looks shit for things like this. As long as you can see, I don't really care. Though, bmp takes more band width to render, so I would not recommend it to anyone anyway. :p

jeffvv16

Sorry guys, I was in a bit of a rush the other day. I'll be sure to use the proper formatting next time I post, and creativity is  something I'm really lacking in.  :blush:

Quietus

No option to view results without voting again?

I liked the colour scheme of DSO's room, but snarf's is very tasty this week, so he gets my vote.