News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

[M1] Problems with Vertical Scrolling after obtaining a Power-up

Started by LordElysian, December 21, 2010, 10:45:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LordElysian

Hello. I am currently working on a full hack for the original Metroid for NES. At the time of posting I only have Brinstar completed. My problem in designing the hack is that while vertical shafts work fine, after Samus goes to the chozo statue and obtains any power-up, the vertical shaft she returns to no longer scrolls vertically. Prior to obtaining an item, Samus is required to go through a hallway with the "creepy music" associated with power-ups. I believe my problem to be associated with this hallway which is horizontal, but to no avail. I am uploading an IPS patch and an image in the hopes this situation may be resolved.

Here's the link to the IPS patch:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5235756/lordelysian-metroidnes.ips

snarfblam

Without actually loading up a patched ROM, my best guess is that the issue is the doorways. This is always a point of confusion.

In a normal Metriod ROM, there are two kinds of doorways. In Brinstar they are object types #3 and #4.

#3 is a normal doorway. It toggles scrolling. If you are in a horizontal room and go through a #3 door, the game will scroll vertical on the other side. And vice-versa. #4 is a horizontal-only doorway. It always sets scrolling to horizontal no matter what, which is only suitable for connecting two horizontal areas. If you go through a #4 door into a vertical area the scrolling will be wrong.

In the newest version of Editroid, normal doors show up green and horizontal-only doors show up yellow if you enable "Display Physics."

[spoiler=Do this][/spoiler]
[spoiler=To show this][/spoiler]
[spoiler=To confuse you further...]While we're on the subject, the newest version of Editroid includes a patch that changes the way doors work, so that door #3 always switches to horizontal and door #4 always switches to vertical. I don't know if that seems any simpler, but it has the added benefit of being able to connect a vertical room to a vertical room. But it may be better not to mess with this until you understand the way that doors work in the original game.[/spoiler]

Qactis

So this is why there was always a horizontal room connecting vertical ones :p learn something new every day

LordElysian

Thank you Snarfblam. I simply used the structure buttons so that #3 is normal doors and #4 is special horizontal doors. I have been using Editroid 2.0a3 for two weeks and it is very easy to use and well featured. However the green/yellow thing doesn't show up for me. If you want I can post more details. This is minor however as the issue is resolved.

snarfblam