News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

SM: True Boss Rush

Started by KT JDDD, November 06, 2010, 07:03:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KT JDDD

There is literally less than 5 rooms without bosses before the mother brain.  Updates and improvements may be done to this hack, but don't expect a full update for something small.

Here is the easy and hard version.  To look for later will be a special Impossible mode.  That will take plenty of testing and fine tuning before completion.

Tell me what you think.  And what will you like to see in Impossible mode?

DECEMBER 16, 2010 UPDATE:  VERSION 1.32 AVAILABLE.  Only thing i was not able to fix was the bottom half of the ship dissappearing in Easy mode.  [spoiler]If anybody has a fix for this, please make an ips patch to put on top of version 1.32.[/spoiler]

Details
[spoiler=Details]Don't think this is going to be another boring mini hack.  Don't be fooled by its common place appearance.  Play at your own risk.  This is the True Boss Rush.  The only one that brings you boss after boss after boss.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Pictures]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/spoiler]

JAM

Haven't played it yet, but in impossible version I want to see Ceres Ridley as first boss with 250..300 hits to defeat who will activate timer that will lasts until Mother Brain fight start. So you'll fight not only VS bosses but with time also

VideoGeemer

That's actually a pretty badass idea.

VG

JAM

I have passed normal version with 2nd try. Hard one is really hard. The main difficulty is [spoiler]having enough energy after Ridley fight. [/spoiler]I have passed it only using savestates after many tries.

Now bad news. This hack have a lot of bugs (in both versions). There are something wrong in any room. There are map bugs too:
1. when you change the area, map is looking wierd.
2. you aren't returning to the same point at the end. If you starting
from your ship in point A, then after passing some rooms you should return to point A.

Please, fix it. For now, it looks like a nominant for the worst hack 2010. Sad, but true.

And suggestion from me.
800 energy in hard version looks strange. Use 799 instead

KT JDDD

Thank you for all your suggestions.  The first update should fix most of these problems.  However, It will be tricky to do the map thing.  I've experienced it before, although it didn't bother me that much.

UPDATE:  Updated patches are now available, attached to this post.

[Spoiler=PLANS]Normal Mode
*Turn down Ridley's strength slightly.
*Turn down (Gold) Torizo's HP slightly.
*Turn up beam strength slightly.

Hard Mode
Increase health one or two energy tanks.
*Increase health drop from enemies.
Turn Up gravity.
Increase Kraid's HP more.
Decrease time to escape after Mother Brain.

Both
Attempt to fix map errors.  (Help on this area would be nice.)
Attempt to fix graphical errors.
Fix missile grab in Mother Brains room.

*=these changes should be unnoticeable without peeking in SMILE.[/Spoiler]
Crossed Out=Change has been done
Impossible Mode cannot begin spin-off development until I fine tune Normal and Hard, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

[Spoiler=IMPOSSIBLE PLANS]Start with one row of e-tanks
Ridley and other bosses at normal HP and strength.
Lowering of grabbed missiles in mother brains room.
Work on getting the (Ceres Ridley) timer Idea to work.  I might release a beta so others can work on getting this to work.
Gravity increase.
(secret plan that JAM sent me).
Insanely Difficult Escape sequence.[/spoiler]

These are subject to change on demand.  i want this to be a hack you want to play.

This thread is now unlocked, and I'm once again open to ideas, suggestions, and requests.  Those who would like to help may download the beta for TBR-I to experiment and get the ball rolling.

JAM

It's good to see that you want to improve your hack, so I apologize for the last post.

Things that you have missed:
[spoiler]
•Starting Position is wrong. Change it in Area Load Stations.
•When you are walking into Torizo's room the door is already closed like you're moving through it. Edit door properties (door $01 in Landing Site room) to make door close behind you. Just click on empty picture once and save. Also, change the type of the door from blue and grey colored to grey colored. It will close right after entering.
•Same thing in Spore Spawn room: warping through the wall. Just add normal door with grey bubble.
•Torizo position is wrong. It's levitating a bit when you're entering the room.
•Torizo palette is wrong. First time, when he stands up. And also when you hit him, palette is changes at the moment. Maybe, just using both Torizos? One for Createria and another one after Ridley?
•Spore Spawn in hard mode refuses to close his core and change palette.
•Room after Botwoon is bad. If don't press pause, I see a lot of Bombs. Wrong tile is used for air. Use last tile in CRE
•In Crocomiro's room after reentering there are something white appeared behind the items and tiles. Just change all pointers (except Level Data) to original Crocomiro's room. And click NO every time SMILE asks you.
•In Crocomiro's room items are respawing after you getting them.
•In Mother Brain's room music is wrong. You hear Metroid scream when hitting the glass. Open first room in Tourian and look what music are there.
•You just can't go back from Mother Brain's room.
•Another strange thing is disappearing walls, like in Crocomiro's room. Use grey door instead.
•As for the map, you can fix it easily enough. Just edit sequence of the room after Mother Brain like this: 7DD58 => 7DE7A (enter from exit) => (enter from exit) => 7DEAD (enter from exit) => 791F8, place Golden Torizo's room after Ridley and get rid of elevator shaft. I mean, don't touch room transition, but shift all rooms in Norfair to the up by 3 sectors. Crocomiro's room will be right under landing site.
•To make the map display correctly, draw the whole map in Crateria. Then duplicate the map in every area (in exaclty same positions) and move all boss rooms to correct places. Thus, you'll create illusion of being in the same region all the time. And also, give all areas the same name. Zebes, for example.

Looks like you don't know how to add PLMs to the room and you're using existing ones. This guide will helps you:
http://metroidconstruction.com/addingenemyplm.php?x=
[/spoiler]

Hope that helps =)

KT JDDD

Quote from: JAM on November 11, 2010, 08:34:54 PM
It's good to see that you want to improve your hack, so I apologize for the last post.

Things that you have missed:
[spoiler]
•Starting Position is wrong. Change it in Area Load Stations.
•When you are walking into Torizo's room the door is already closed like you're moving through it. Edit door properties (door $01 in Landing Site room) to make door close behind you. Just click on empty picture once and save. Also, change the type of the door from blue and grey colored to grey colored. It will close right after entering.
•Same thing in Spore Spawn room: warping through the wall. Just add normal door with grey bubble.
•Torizo position is wrong. It's levitating a bit when you're entering the room.
•Torizo palette is wrong. First time, when he stands up. And also when you hit him, palette is changes at the moment. Maybe, just using both Torizos? One for Createria and another one after Ridley?
•Spore Spawn in hard mode refuses to close his core and change palette.
•Room after Botwoon is bad. If don't press pause, I see a lot of Bombs. Wrong tile is used for air. Use last tile in CRE
•In Crocomiro's room after reentering there are something white appeared behind the items and tiles. Just change all pointers (except Level Data) to original Crocomiro's room. And click NO every time SMILE asks you.
•In Crocomiro's room items are respawing after you getting them.
•In Mother Brain's room music is wrong. You hear Metroid scream when hitting the glass. Open first room in Tourian and look what music are there.
•You just can't go back from Mother Brain's room.
•Another strange thing is disappearing walls, like in Crocomiro's room. Use grey door instead.
•As for the map, you can fix it easily enough. Just edit sequence of the room after Mother Brain like this: 7DD58 => 7DE7A (enter from exit) => (enter from exit) => 7DEAD (enter from exit) => 791F8, place Golden Torizo's room after Ridley and get rid of elevator shaft. I mean, don't touch room transition, but shift all rooms in Norfair to the up by 3 sectors. Crocomiro's room will be right under landing site.
•To make the map display correctly, draw the whole map in Crateria. Then duplicate the map in every area (in exaclty same positions) and move all boss rooms to correct places. Thus, you'll create illusion of being in the same region all the time. And also, give all areas the same name. Zebes, for example.

Looks like you don't know how to add PLMs to the room and you're using existing ones. This guide will helps you:
http://metroidconstruction.com/addingenemyplm.php?x=
[/spoiler]

Hope that helps =)

All of these will be taken into serious consideration.  And. . . I do know how to add PLMs.  However, I didn't see it as truly necessary.  As for fixing the progression after series, I have no idea what you meant by (enter from exit)  And about crocomire's room, I used two seperate rooms so that certain items wouldn't be gained before Phantoon, and it was to keep people from skipping Phantoon.

[Spoiler=Progress]Starting position fixed.
Spore Spawn mechanics improved.
Fixed Crocomire duplicate room.  (It was a faulty 3rd layer BG.)
Maps Improved. Area names changed.
Escape sequence plan improved *again*.  Soon to be Fixed. Easy fixed, Hard in progress Fixed.
Torizo switched to regular with added HP, and no longer levitating.
Successfully created one way elevator for Easy mode escape.
Mother brain room music fixed.
No more warping through walls.
Hard mode is faster paced now.[/Spoiler]

JAM

Quote from: KT JDDD on November 11, 2010, 10:36:01 PM
As for fixing the progression after series, I have no idea what you meant by (enter from exit)
I mean, enter certain room from another door (where you exit usually) like you entering Tourian from back door.

Quote from: KT JDDD on November 11, 2010, 10:36:01 PM
And about crocomire's room, I used two seperate rooms so that certain items wouldn't be gained before Phantoon, and it was to keep people from skipping Phantoon.
Yes, I understand this, but second room (with items) is glitchy a bit.

Another thing I forgot is scrolling sky bug. When you entering landing site room, you seeing crappy pieces of chunk moving instead of sky. Can be fixed with patch by P.J.Boy that can be found here:
http://interdpth.arc-nova.org/PJs%20stuff/

Silver Skree

:pwuh:

...Hmm.

Seems legit. I don't see any of my content.

Hiroshi Mishima

Yeah, that was actually my first thought about seeing this. Although I'll admit I thought about doing a boss rush of my own at one point after having been inspired by all of Silver's variations. I'll have to give this a genuine look-at later.

KT JDDD

STILL FIXING BUGS AND ERRORS:

Some errors from 1.31 have already been fixed and will be featured in the next update.  I'm going to allow another couple weeks for people to report errors and bugs within Normal and Heavy Mode.

A new beta patch for TBR-I will be available soon for open work

EDIT:  I'm going to be unavailable for some time.  If no bug reports are in by that time, I will call this finished and moved it to the completed works.

JAM

Are you kidding? Just curious, have you played your own hack carefully? I understand that there is Boss Rush hack, but why so rush to release it with label "completed"? Anyway, more things to be fixed (normal mode):

[spoiler]•If you'll leave Torizo's room and re-enter it, you'll see Chozo ball floating in the air. Just change PLM pointer of first alternate state to original one (and click NO when SMILE asks you).

•Spore Spawn room should be in Brinstar. Otherwise, these blue things in BG will not glow.

•When you re-entering Spore Spawn room from the left, door will not close after you. Warping, again.

•If you return to Spore Spawn's room from Kraid's, grey bridge will be corrupted.

•Botwoon room in placed in wrong location. Press start when you're in his room and you'll see.

•Room after botwoon (with elevator) is too dark. You've start your journey when then was day and in this room are night. It shouldn't be so unless 1 day in planet Zebes equals 5 minutes. Change music (shouldn't be thunder with storm) and A and B FX1's properties to landing site's (state: Power Bombs).

•And why there are thunder in the next room?

•In Crocomiro's room there are wrong music after defeating the boss. Should be elevator music.

•In Crocomiro's room right wall is too thin (look at left wall and compare the width). Door placed like this is looking unnatural.

•There are no need to place the grey door in second state of Crocomiro room (in your case clone room). You've opened it when entering Phantoon's room, so why this door is appeared again?

•Layout mismatch in Crocomiro room. See that island in the acid that helps to get Phantoon? In room with Crocomiro there are 2 blocks to the left of it and after beating Phantoon there are 3 blocks. I'm understaning that 3rd block is needed to jump back to solid surfance, but it's better to move 2 existing blocks higher.

•Most important thing in Crocomiro room. If you leave his room using door in the ceiling (I can, at least with bomb jumping), then after returning to this room, items will disappear (and grey door will reappears after you) and door to Draygon will be closed. The better thing to fix this is using second state of Crocomiro room instead of using clone room. Just make the door in the ceiling always closed. In second state there shouln't be grey door leading to Phantoon at all and door in ceiling should flashing (set mini-boss of the area is dead value, 04).

•There are a missile in map when you're fighting Draygon.
Read Sadiztyk Fish's guide how to move icons and shift it a bit.

•Crocomiro room. Again. If you re-enter it after beating Draygon, all items will reappear. And scrolling will show floor. Why?

•And why there are one more door in second state of Ridley room leading no nowhere? I saw in SMILE that there are grey door bubble. Replace it with continuation PLM.

•After going through the last elevator all the map will be damaged. Substract 40 from BitFlag value of the door leading to Crateria.

•And why there are 3 minutes to escape!? 10-15 seconds is
more than enough. Even sloweset turtle will make in 30 scenonds.

•When you entering your ship, the lower half of it mystically dissappears.

•Where are Golden Torizo? I want to fight him after Draygon. The best I can suggest is place his room right after Draygon, but make player open it from wrong entrance (where you'll get from Screw Attack room, bottom right door). Add platforms to make player exit after defeating Golden Torizo (top left door) and remove crumbling blocks. You can also place his room after Ridley and leave Missiles where they supposed to be. It'll be the same Megamissile block from Tourian. Relocate it.

•And still map is looking incomplete. It's looking good in SMILE, but looking wrong in game. If there are the elevator shaft in the map, then there should be this shaft in the level. Since, you can't get Map Station, you'll just warp through shaft. So, extend 2 rooms with shafts in height. If there are 3 blocks of shaft in the map, add 3 screens of shaft to the level. Change elevator speed if you want to make player pass elevator faster (see hex tweaks).[/spoiler]

Phew, I can fix these bugs faster than write about them.

I have completed Normal mode in 24:55 without savestates. Haven't played hard mode yet, but I suppose the same problems are there.

I hope you'll fix this after returning.

Scyzer

Quote from: JAM on November 25, 2010, 05:21:52 PM
[spoiler]
•Spore Spawn room should be in Brinstar. Otherwise, these blue things in BG will not glow.

•Room after botwoon (with elevator) is too dark. You've start your journey when then was day and in this room are night. It shouldn't be so unless 1 day in planet Zebes equals 5 minutes. Change music (shouldn't be thunder with storm) and A and B FX1's properties to landing site's (state: Power Bombs).

•And why there are thunder in the next room?

•In Crocomiro's room there are wrong music after defeating the boss. Should be elevator music.

•In Crocomiro's room right wall is too thin (look at left wall and compare the width). Door placed like this is looking unnatural.
[/spoiler]

None of those things are bugs or glitches.... They are design choices, with the possible exception of SS being in Brinstar

KT JDDD

Well, to fix all the re-entering glitches and errors, I'll just make many doors "Always Closed".  Some of the scrolling is already fixed.  The second state of Crocomire's room has been tricky.  according to the Map, I do need to double check to make sure ALL rooms are where they should be.  But as long as everything fits, it seems well to me.

I need some help on trying to get the timer to go less than a minute.  One minute seems to be the lowest it can successfully go.  According to adding Gold Torizo, that's MY CHOICE on if he is included or not.  [spoiler]he will only be in Impossible version[/spoiler]  I have tried playing forwards and backwards through this damn thing, and I haven't experienced everything you have, so I am not able to fix certain things that appear fine on my testing computer.

THE IMPORTANT PART
Other than That, all these will be dealt with.  Special thanks to JAM for being one anal tester.  It's exactly what a lot of us need testing out hacks.

JAM

Quote from: KT JDDD on November 28, 2010, 04:30:48 PM
Well, to fix all the re-entering glitches and errors, I'll just make many doors "Always Closed". 
Sounds good for the first time, but what if player wants to go back to the ship to save after beating Phantoon (for example)? I think, he/she should be able to do this, as ship will not recover energy and ammo anymore.

I need some help on trying to get the timer to go less than a minute.  One minute seems to be the lowest it can successfully go. 
Set decimal value when working with timer, not the hex value.

According to adding Gold Torizo, that's MY CHOICE on if he is included or not.  [spoiler]he will only be in Impossible version[/spoiler] 
So, will there be map changes in each version? I have an idea how to avoid that.
[spoiler]Use Golden Torizo in Impossible version and use the same room in other versions, but with sand Torizo (like big Metroid drained if off). And after Mother Brain there should be the room with fork of a road and 3 doors (2 of them are closed). In normal version the shortest path will be opened. In hard version -- medium path. And in impossible version -- hardest path. Of course, if you like to.[/spoiler]

I have tried playing forwards and backwards through this damn thing, and I haven't experienced everything you have, so I am not able to fix certain things that appear fine on my testing computer.
Just use bomb jump to get out of Crocomiro room and use wall jumping to get out of Ridley room. And you'll see what I've got.

Special thanks to JAM for being one anal tester.  It's exactly what a lot of us need testing out hacks.
Glad to help you =) I just want to see more quality, more polished hacks

KT JDDD

Quote from: JAM
I need some help on trying to get the timer to go less than a minute.  One minute seems to be the lowest it can successfully go.  

okay, one problem.  I have no idea how to set the decimal value.

[spoiler=UPDATE]Many minor bugs fixed. (reappearing items and map bugs and things like that)
Major Fixes:
Crocomire's room fully functional.  Clone room no longer used.[/spoiler]

It's taking some time because now I need to fix 2 ROMs instead of just 1.  I still need help on the timer.  I want to put it at 25 seconds if possible.  As to map changes. . . YES.  I want map changes between all 3 versions.  I want HUGE differences to be felt between each one.

Working on:  Intro for Impossible mode.  I'm gonna leave the intro in so we can fight ceres ridley.  Of course, I'll take out the movies.  This will take me sometime.  I'll try to release a Beta around christmas time for open development.

Quietus

Quote from: KT JDDD on December 05, 2010, 02:48:45 PM
Quote from: JAM
I need some help on trying to get the timer to go less than a minute.  One minute seems to be the lowest it can successfully go.
okay, one problem.  I have no idea how to set the decimal value.
JAM is saying that unlike most things in the ROM, the countdown timers are stored in standard, decimal format, like 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, and not hexadecimal, like 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, a, b, c, d, e, f.  If you want your timer to be 30, you enter 30.