News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Super Metroid Sound FX?

Started by altoiddealer, November 12, 2014, 04:33:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

altoiddealer

I've been trying to figure out how to extract/rip SM sound effects.  I've been reading around that it's actually a bit more complicated for SNES due to the sound engine.

I had some success with SNESSOR... but the results were lacking.  Maybe it works better for other games.

Just wondering if anyone already went through this and figured it out. I would like to have them in .WAV (preferred) or Mp3.

I came across this page with the sound locations, but I'm not sure if this has any use in my search

Scooterboot9697

What I do is, I use the ZSNES emulator, then I use the F5 through F12 keys to disable the sound channels; although, I disable all but the last one (channel 8)--doing so will turn off all the music, but keep the actual sound fx. Then I open the menu (Esc key) and go to Misc > Movie Opt and click Record in the Movie Options window, close the menu, and then I try to play whatever sound in the game (by shooting, screw attacking, somersaulting, etc.) and then I open the menu again, and stop recording by pressing Stop in the Movie Options window, then I go to the Dumping tab (located near the top of the window), and then I click Start. It should dump whatever you recorded as a movie file.
There are probably a lot of programs for ripping sound from a movie (.avi, specifically) file, but I use YTD Video Downloader's file-conversion tool-thingy, which can convert it to a .mp3 file, which I then use Audacity to convert to a .wav file. I also use Audacity to cut out unwanted parts of the sound I might've recorded (and also to cut out silence or whatever, cropping it down to just the way I want it).

This might not be the best way to do it, but it has worked for me so far.
And I know it's kind of a long process at first, but once you get the system down, it's clockwork.

Smiley

Alternatively, just record with Audacity and cut 90% of that pointless hassle that does nothing but degrades the quality.

FullOfFail

I'm going to have to remove this soon, but it's just a bunch of random samples

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/68301023/Super%20Metroid%20Samples.7z

Has some instruments, and also things like metroid screeching. I use it in Fruity Loops, but I'm sure it has better uses.

Scooterboot9697

Quote from: SMILEuser96 on December 04, 2014, 04:50:31 PM
Alternatively, just record with Audacity and cut 90% of that pointless hassle that does nothing but degrades the quality.
I find Audacity's recording system to be a bit, well, shitty.

I've had previous experiences with it that didn't go well... :bounce:

Crashtour99

Quote from: altoiddealer on November 12, 2014, 04:33:26 PM
I had some success with SNESSOR... but the results were lacking.  Maybe it works better for other games.
Just wondering if anyone already went through this and figured it out. I would like to have them in .WAV (preferred) or Mp3.
What kind of problems were you having with it?  When I used it I ended up with about 176 .wav samples.  Some were copies, others didn't seem to have much to them at all, but it got all the samples.  It's what I used to make my SM soundfont.  Seemed to work pretty good.

The thing to remember about the sfx used in SM is that unlike instrument samples, sfx are usually a combination of samples played together.

altoiddealer

Awesome!  I was noodling around in ZSNES trying to find a way to do this but couldn't figure it out.

I'll be trying this out in a bit, thank you for the detailed response!!

Also thanks for that link, I'll see if what it has what I'm looking for