News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

[SM] Ground Zero

Started by MultiK1llZ, November 02, 2010, 07:24:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hiroshi Mishima

DM was talking about you changing "New Super Metroid Metroid Hack" to "New Super Metroid Hack".

Quietus

I think he was referring more to DMan's chant of 'hack now, title later'.

FPzero

I have to say, I am quite impressed with your landing site.  The palettes are exquisite and the amount of detail is at a good level, not too much, but not too little either.

Call the hack "Swiftly Unto Darkness" with no reference to Super Metroid and call it a day.

MultiK1llZ

Quote from: FirePhoenix on November 17, 2010, 04:07:31 PM
I have to say, I am quite impressed with your landing site.  The palettes are exquisite and the amount of detail is at a good level, not too much, but not too little either.

Call the hack "Swiftly Unto Darkness" with no reference to Super Metroid and call it a day.

LOL  :lol:

thanks for your opinion but i think i already have a name selected..  :noes:

Cadarot

Quote from: MultiK1llZ on November 18, 2010, 06:48:20 PM

It's Mission A.U.R.A. - Metroid III, right?

MultiK1llZ

Quote from: Flamestar666 on November 18, 2010, 08:31:17 PM

Actually, no.

But i will be using it, if thats okay. like at the beginning where Samus has been briefed on the mission, Mission AURA (with definition) and she sets off to a local planet.

Cadarot

Quote from: MultiK1llZ on November 18, 2010, 08:46:55 PM

Actually, no.

But i will be using it, if thats okay. like at the beginning where Samus has been briefed on the mission, Mission AURA (with definition) and she sets off to a local planet.
How anout Super A.U.R.A: Metroid Mission

MultiK1llZ

Quote from: Flamestar666 on November 18, 2010, 09:32:15 PM

Actually, no.

:pwuh: ... This is confusing =S

I am leaving it as is.

Cadarot

Quote from: MultiK1llZ on November 18, 2010, 10:54:30 PM
Quote from: Flamestar666 on November 18, 2010, 09:32:15 PM
I have to say, I am quite impressed with your landing site.  The palettes are exquisite and the amount of detail is at a good level, not too much, but not too little either.

LOL  :lol:

thanks for your opinion but i think i already have a name selected..  :noes:

Actually, no.

:pwuh: ... This is confusing =S

I am leaving it as is.
Maybe you should leave it as New Super Metroid Hack

clearly over 9000 hours of photoshop

Silver Skree

I'm with Flamestar on this one.

Quietus

Quote tunnels hurt mine eyes...

Tyjet66

Gotta love quote tunnels.  :wub:

MultiK1llZ

Lol, Flamestar.  :lol:

Nah, I already have a name picked out.  :wink:

Grime edit: don't spam smileys, numbnuts.

EDIT: But, Spam is delicious.

zephyr edit: I agree. That is why this is here.

MultiK1llZ

New stuff to show some progress:  :^_^:

[spoiler=video][SM] Ground Zero - Making a Room[/spoiler]

This is one of the rooms I built for my hack: SM: Ground Zero (Yes, this is the name  :grin: ). This is part of the Brinstar area called Sanctuary. This room will look slightly different due to the room being to big in byte limits, but there won't be a big change in level design.

Qactis

That's actually a really badass room man, might I suggest repointing your level data so you aren't limited in your room design? You have talent and you should show it in your hack

Quietus

I always find it interesting watching different people build rooms.  You'd think that with most people starting off in the same way, and (probably) reading the same guides / tutorials, that we'd all be building in the same manner, yet we all do things slightly differently. :^_^:

MultiK1llZ

Quote from: Quietus on November 21, 2010, 07:13:15 PM
I always find it interesting watching different people build rooms.  You'd think that with most people starting off in the same way, and (probably) reading the same guides / tutorials, that we'd all be building in the same manner, yet we all do things slightly differently. :^_^:
I agree, I love to watch vids of people building rooms and I always though I did it differently. turns out I was wrong  :lol: . Oh! Here's an old room. Still good though.

[spoiler=Sanctuary Elevator Room (May take a while to load -__- )][/spoiler]

BlackSnow2211

GOOD? That room's...amazing, dude! Genius combination of those two tilesets and a great palette to go with it! No complaints from me, can't fraking wait to see more!

EDIT: I feel stupid asking this, but can someone please explain "frak" for me?

MultiK1llZ

Quote from: BlackSnow2211 on November 21, 2010, 08:47:58 PM
GOOD? That room's...amazing, dude! Genius combination of those two tilesets and a great palette to go with it! No complaints from me, can't fraking wait to see more!

Thanks! :grin: I always find it funny how I or most other hacks think their hacks aren't all that good compared to some other ones.  :lol:

So far, this area (Sanctuary) has become my favorite and most focused-on area.

Cadarot

Ground Zero? Really? I give you an awesome name and you go with Ground Zero!?
What are you a terrorist?

MultiK1llZ

Quote from: Flamestar666 on November 22, 2010, 12:53:16 AM
Ground Zero? Really? I give you an awesome name and you go with Ground Zero!?

I'm sorry, but I don't wanna steal your awesome name. I wanna make my own.

Quote from: Flamestar666 on November 22, 2010, 12:53:16 AM
What are you a terrorist?

Ahaha. No.

Quote from: BlackSnow2211 on November 21, 2010, 08:47:58 PM
I feel stupid asking this, but can someone please explain "frak" for me?

Truly, I don't know what frak is either, but I think it's the censored version of f*** on this forum.

Quietus

Yes, that's where the fraks appear from, but as to why that word, as opposed to anything else, I don't know.  Perhaps another tedious meme? :wink:

Hiroshi Mishima

Gods I hate that word, it's so annoyingly stupid sound just like "feck" and "frik" which're also words I've heard over the years to replace a word that I don't even find offensive and children learn it by the time they're 10 anyways (I learned it at 5). But what really gets me about "frak" is it seemed to literally explode in popularity cause of that gods-awful Battlestar Galactica remake. Personally I think if you're going to use another word, at least make it a real word like "freaking" cause freaky is ambiguous and can mean a lot of things.

Ugh.. anyways.. room looks good, I like the way you used the Norfair tileset in conjunction with the Brinstar one, although I gotta admit the two don't quite fit together.. I dunno, I keep seeing them clashing in design for some reason, but that's aesthetics and nothing to really worry about unless others feel that way too. I'm weird like that. :p

MultiK1llZ

Okay, I have been working on Sanctuary and I was wonder weither this is going to be a half or full hack. What exactly are the two? Is a half hack like 150+ rooms?

Also, took a small break and played Metroid Prime 2. Gave me some ideas from sanctuary fortress. Also pissed from defeating and extremely hard boss and than leaving the room to get killed by an onslaught of impossible enemies. Frak this game. <_<

Scyzer

There's actually been some discussion about the categorizing of hacks on IRC a few times.

The older categories from last year and before:

1-Room - Exactly what it sounds like :P
Minihack - Consisting of between 2 and 30 rooms, with generally puzzle based gameplay.
Half Hack - A hack that changes item progression or small layouts of Vanilla SM (the original).
Full Hack - A while ago this was any hack that changed the map, levels and items around completely.

What with the advancements in ASM hacking over the past year, hacking has got to the point where people can do almost anything to the game and change everything. This does mean that categorizing would need to be changed for a few hacks. I mean, compare a hack like Legacy (considered a full hack due to completely new level design) with a full hack of today? A new map just does not compare to complete a ASM overhaul with new GFX, maps, physics, etc.

There's yet to be any definite categories, but IMO:

Minihack - Consisting of 1 to 30 rooms of new level design, of a puzzle based nature  OR  an edit of Vanilla SM to give a new play experience.
Half Hack - Larger than 30 rooms with new level design and maps, but minimal other changes. Mixture of puzzle, difficulty and exploration based.
Full Hack - Larger than 100 rooms with new level design and maps, as well as some other changes such as new GFX, physics, ASM, etc.
Overhaul Hacks - Larger than 100 rooms with completely new level design and styles (not similar to Vanilla SM styles), custom ASM, GFX, physics, etc. Minimal bugs/glitches, if any. Game should feel professionally made, and not much like a hack.

A lot of WIP hacks at the moment look like they could fit into the Overhaul category, but the time that needs to go into these types of hacks is incredible, so it may not be filled for a while :P