News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

[SM] tilemaps

Started by Crashtour99, October 09, 2010, 11:09:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crashtour99

Ok, so I'm trying to edit a bunch of tilemaps.
I've read through RacoonSam's guide here on the site, so I understand all that stuff, however...

$81/87A0 LDA $0000,y      that uses y as an index to load regular tilemaps
One question is, how do you go about repointing where the tilemap is loaded from (like if I wanted to move the "Nintendo" logo tilemap to where the unused beta "Metroid" tilemap is)?

2nd question is, that only works for regular tilemaps, so how can I find the locations for mode 7 tilemaps (like the background for the titlescreen)?

Scyzer

To repoint a tilemap, go to the start of the tilemap, and note the address. Then just search for a string that points to that. The intro tilemaps are from 60000-67FFF IIRC, and all of the pointers to each tilemap are from 58000-5FFFF somewhere. You'll know it's a pointer to a tilemap because it will look like XX 00 YY YY with XX being a timer for that tilemap, and YYYY being the pointer to the tilemap.

Dont even bother looking for Mode7 tilemaps, you will not be able to edit them without a special program. Mode 7 is *VERY* different to modes 1-6. In mode7, the character map and tilemaps are interleaved together, with the tilemap being the highbyte of each word and character maps in the low byte IIRC (might be the other way around).

Crashtour99

As always, you are very helpful.  Thanks Sadi.   :grin:

That kinda sucks about mode 7.  Luckily I think I can work around this limitation though (with repointing tilemaps and such).