News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Halloween Contest[VOTING AND ENTRIES(OBVIOUSLY) HAVE ENDED]

Started by squishy_ichigo, October 01, 2010, 05:42:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

squishy_ichigo

Its that time again kiddies, community contest time!
What is the contest this time? Why its a one room Halloween themed hack! :awesome:

Submitting time is over!

Rules for the Contest:

1) Its a one room hack, so you only get to hack one room.
2) Saddly, no doors, think of something else asmers.
3) No ship in the room.
4) End the hack by having the player land on a fools xray block of 03 with one of the attached ips'.

There is two options for ending the hack:
1) Having the planet explode
2) Gameover screen

Pick which one goes best for your hack idea.  The reason its a one room hack is to make it a challenge for the hackers to make.  The reason its a Halloween hack, is because Halloween is awesome.  Do whatever you want for the hack, but the scarier, or more Holloween themed it is, the better.

IMPORTANT! THE HACKS ARE IN THIS POST!

And with that, get to hacking! Good luck kiddies, hope to see some badass hacks!

Quietus

Is there an easy solution to the 'no ship' thing?  It feels like a number of people may be excluded from the competition if this is enforced.

Also, I know it's for Halloween, but is Halloween the closing date, or is close beforethen, with winners announced on Halloween?

zephyrtronium

If yins would've told me about this, I probably could've whipped up a patch or two for MZM. But now I'm on my new computer and have no ability to hack, so it's probably not going to happen. :noes:

squishy_ichigo

You simply do not put your ship in the room.  Your using the bts to end the game. Simple stuff.

And it was decided to be due on Halloween by James, if you want something changed go bug that guy. ;D

Tyjet66

Quote from: Quietus on October 01, 2010, 08:01:00 PM
Is there an easy solution to the 'no ship' thing?  It feels like a number of people may be excluded from the competition if this is enforced.

You remove the ship, remove the BTS and you can change the load position.

Scyzer

Is there a limit on the room size? Or can it be as huge/small as we like, as long as it is, just a single room?

EDIT: And another question. Are we allowed to end the game by patching one of the patches, but having that code run by another event other than touching the BTS? (yes I am just thinking of loopholes here :wink:)

squishy_ichigo

personitis

I believe I called this contest would happen a good month ago. xD This, shall be a fun one as I actually plan to finish mine this year lol.

Digital_Mantra

I'd be all over this if I were any good at gfx.

Lunaria

I'd be all over this if I were not so busy with minecraft Ice Metal 2.

Phazar

Now that I think of it, Game Over ending actually fits a Halloween hack quite well.

JAM

Quote from: squishy_ichigo on October 01, 2010, 05:42:02 PM
2) Saddly, no doors, think of something else asmers.
Does it means "no doors and no door transitions (blue squares) at all" or just "no doors" where transition like quicksand rooms in Maridia is allowed?

Scyzer

I believe it means no door transitions in anyway, otherwise it would be as simple as removing the GFX for the door :/

It's gotta be a single room, no door transitions.

Lunaria

What if you have a single room... but door transitions to other parts of the same room? :D!:

Tyjet66

Quote from: Crys on October 04, 2010, 09:28:43 AM
What if you have a single room... but door transitions to other parts of the same room? :D!:

Wouldn't that still break the "no door" rule? Even if it does comply with the one room limitation.

Lunaria

I have NO idea, which is why I'm asking! :D!:

Not that I was planning to enter in any case though! :P

Tyjet66

Quote from: Crys on October 04, 2010, 04:17:11 PM
I have NO idea, which is why I'm asking! :D!:

Not that I was planning to enter in any case though! :P
Well, then isn't it pretty redundant to even ask then?

Lunaria

Depends on your point of view. ;)

personitis

Well, if we take the second rule word by word, that means no door BTS period. The rule would be better stated, "no door transitions" in that case I suppose.

Quietus

I think that 'one room' is fairly straightforward, and anybody looking for loopholes is kinda spoiling the fun of the competition.  There're loads of ways that you could probably worm your way around it, but it's not really the point.

KT JDDD

I'm definitely going to get in on this.  I'll have to break from Blood.

Are we allowed to make the room as big as we want?  I hope so.  I'm a little late to finding out about this apparently, but I believe I can whip up something worthy of entry in that time.

Good luck everybody.

Quietus

I don't think there's a limit, but I recall a while back that someone (probably Kej) said that the rooms were limited to 49 screens, and you're restricted to 16 screens in either dimension, so you could have a really long 16x3 room, or up to 7x7 in a square, but that's about it, size-wise. (Assuming I remember the discussion correctly, of course, and not just dreaming some random stuff up) :heheh:

Scyzer

The limit is actually 50 screens, as any larger would take up more than a full bank of RAM. There is an $F (15) screen dimension limit.
I have to say though, with 4 days left, you're gonna be hard pushed to get something out in time :O

Quietus

I was closer than I'd hoped.  At least it was real... :O_o:

Scyzer

I'm hoping this is allowed, but I have 2 doors in my room because they are required by the elevator =/

There's no door transitions, just the 2 doors that are used as platforms in the same room for the elevator to start/stop at. Just wanted to check if this is ok now, before I hand it in. I have ASM to imitate an elevator movement setup, but it's easier to just use an elevator what with all the codes intertwined together =S