News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Grand Prix 2 (mini)

Started by Daltone, December 08, 2009, 09:31:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daltone

Hello again dudes and dudettes!
Start your engines power suits.

The only skill necessary is "run and then jump".
     Of course the harder paths will require more then that.
             There is even optional heat runs for the champs (lol heat runs).

Thanks to Tyjet66 for testing, JAM for the morph ball fix, squishy_ichigo for the time and ending fix!
                   and most of all NINTENDO for making the best games ever!

I will be taking best times. Please be "honest" meaning don't use statesaves/slowdown/etc.
Best Times
1)JAM - 6:59
2)MetroidMst - 7:51
3)DSO - 9:08
4)Bloodsonic - 9:35
5)aigamerDS - 10:30
6)Xaggot - 10:53
7)Gaius_4 - 11:43
8)Black Falcon - 11:45
9)Crashtour99 - 11:48
10)ZENE09 -  12:34

My best time is 6:53 and i even pooped a little.

Patch is for a UNheadered rom!

[attachment deleted by admin]

MetroidMst

Very fun again. I got perma-stuck my second time thru though. (pic included)

DSO

Fun to play through. I didn't actually get the time for my first playthrough, as I turbo'd past it once I got in the ship and I had no savestates... I ended up dying on an attempted varialess run, but third time I got a time recorded, using the same route as I did in the first run.

Daltone

Thanks fellas, i fixed the permastuck and a small map error.

FullOfFail

I got 13:04 on my first time. I accidentally screenshot too late and the screen was fading. I do have it though, if anybody cares. That was really fun. I'll probably be playing it more. Excellent work.

Edit: Nevermind, I'll just put it up.

aigamerDS

I got 10:30 at second try. This time, I didn't use savestates.

Crashtour99

Lots of fun to play through!  And so many routes to take.    :cool:

Tried 3 different routes so far, best time as of yet is 11:48, no savestates slowdowns etc.

MetroidMst

On my second completed run I improved a lot but still made a lot of mistakes. I really think I can get under 8:10 or even 8:00 flat if I really polish my route off and don't make too many little mistakes. But I will take this for now.

RealRed

Nice hack. didn't really feel like a race though.  :razz:

Black Falcon

I really like the hack! Very fun to play (lol @ the SSB bumpers :lol:)
The idea with the targets is great! :yay:
Keep up the excellent work!

Edit:
I played it again and got:
[spoiler]
but with 2 savestates so this doesn't count:

the first one is honest[/spoiler] :grin:

Xaggoth

First playthrough 10:53. 

Pretty fun, at least as good as the first Grand Prix.  I was a little perplexed by the break the targets stuff, I didn't make the connection the first time until I ran into a gray door.  I liked the optional heat run and the signs explaining it even though I declined it this first time through.  I would like to see even more signs in future hacks, maybe something that can indicate tricks that are coming up, for example I randomly guessed a speedball section and many times went around a simple mid air morph shortcut that I would have liked to have used.  It works the way it is but I would be awesome if there wasn't a lot of memorization involved to hit a lot of the tricks.

MetroidMst

Yet another record for me. I came close to under 8 minutes but just missed this time. I am now thinking I can manage 7:45 sometime, I definitely want to get under 8 sometime.

I got my under 8 minutes, but fell short of 7:45. I know I can make it since I had at least three big errors in my run. I will be able to polish this up some more sometime.

JAM

A great hack. Very reminds me a moments when I'm speedrunning original Super Metroid (idea is the same).

First run was 14:01. Not very good time. I saw a lot of places where I can get and lose a lot of time trying to jump there.

After several tries, I've choosen an optimal course for myself and perform several "morphball after wall jumping" tricks. The result was 10:17.

Today I've tried a few suitless runs. I died always in 2-3 seconds before second Recharge Station (I've used a lower branch from first heated room). So, finally, with suit I've got this:

I was very slow in last few rooms. I'm guessing, I can get 08:30 with suit...

P.S. I glad that my patch helped you a little =)

P.P.S. I have a problem at first room to Varia (vertical shaft with path like a "Z"). Sometimes when I jump into this room, I smash to blue platform with head and fall back. Is this supposed to be?

personitis

Awesome hack Daltone. This was actually the first one I sat down and finished too. O_O Anywho, here's first play through and a little thing I found while playing.

Daltone

Fixed problems (kinda).
person701- that block is really strange, it doesn't show up in smile and no matter what i change that block to it is still solid, so i moved those platforms up to "cover it up".
JAM- moved the distance from door up a bit, though i tried smashing into it with no luck. Also i thought i screwed my rom when making GP1 because of that hidden morphball giving you spring.

RealRed

Quote from: Daltone on December 14, 2009, 06:27:22 PM
person701- that block is really strange, it doesn't show up in smile and no matter what i change that block to it is still solid, so i moved those platforms up to "cover it up".

Umm PLM/Enemy? Off screen, of course. otherwise you'd know.

Silver Skree

Saturn has done a TAS of this, in case you haven't seen yet. He just put it up last night.

[spoiler]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1V5-Ib80700[/spoiler]

And in 3:31, too! :shocking:

JAM

Quote from: Bloodsonic on December 09, 2009, 04:05:45 PM
didn't really feel like a race though.  :razz:
It needs increasing timer. That would be great. Too bad, I don't know how to do it...

Quote from: Daltone on December 14, 2009, 06:27:22 PM
JAM- moved the distance from door up a bit, though i tried smashing into it with no luck.
It's happening if you do a spinning jump with no reaching maximum available height, when you just touch a top of screen before room changing. It's better now

Also, some rooms are too dark, in my opinion. I can hardly see a small platforms when I supposed to jump to them.

Suitless run is much faster. Be quick, or be dead.

It's a cool feeling when you undertanding what creator of hack wants you to do at several places =) But, there are still a lot of places to improvement. You can finish this hack without any tricks, but they will help you to travel alternative routes and save time

MetroidMst

Quote from: JAM on December 19, 2009, 09:05:42 AM
Suitless run is much faster. Be quick, or be dead.
I shall have to try that. I will definitely need to optimize my route though as the one I have been taking doesn't seem suited (Pun intended) for that.

JAM

MetroidMst
I thought, your run was suitless. If not, 07:51 is a very good time for a suit run

MetroidMst

With my run I know sub 7:40 is possible with the suit if I don't screw up anything, but I can't do it without a suit because I don't cross any refill stations besides the one next to Spring/Speed Booster. (Unless my memory is bad, which is quite possible.) In any case I will find a good suitless route and try to get a minute off my current time!