News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Super Metroid: Supernova

Started by Tyjet66, August 12, 2010, 04:55:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tyjet66

Hello and welcome to Super Metroid: Supernova!

Anyone remember Stardust? Short and easy, right? Supernova will be three to four times the size, will be much more fun to play, and will have all the annoying tidbits of Stardust taken out.

I have speedrunners in mind for traversing terrain, explorers in mind for map layouts, the sequence breakers in mind for routes to take, the inquisitive in mind for bonus items, and the easily lost in mind for main progression paths. I'm hoping that this will appeal to the hardcore player and newbie alike.

Progress:
Map planning - 100%
Sequence planning - 100% (This part was a LOT harder than you'd expect.)
Crateria - 95% (Testing and polishing remain. One room got overwritten.)
Brinstar - 02%
Norfair - 01%
Wrecked Ship - 20%
Maridia - 01%
Tourain - 10%
Items placed - 22%

Current playable area (no secrets) **OUT-DATED**:
[spoiler]
The yellow PL square is a map room.

[/spoiler]

Things I still need to figure out:
[spoiler]
- Remove map tiles (area names, save/map/missile/energy rooms, and boss icons.)
- Add 1/3 slopes for Red Brinstar, Green Brinstar, and Pink Brinstar.[/spoiler]
Beams:
[spoiler]
Beam strength will be dependent on how many beams you have equipped at the time. The fewer beams, the stronger it is. Each additional beam does effect the speed at which you can shoot, their speeds average.

Normal beam: fast - weak
Ice beam: slow - strong
Wave beam: average - average
Spazer: very fast - average
Plasma: average - very strong
[/spoiler]

Tricks for completion:
[spoiler]
- Mid-air morph.
- Possibly crouch jump or walljump, depending on the path you take.[/spoiler]
Tricks for 100%:
[spoiler]
- Inifinite single wall walljump.
- Infinite bomb jump.
- Mockball.
- Speedball.
- Shinesparking.
[/spoiler]

Picture gallery (backgrounds look better in-game):

[spoiler="Crateria"]
[spoiler][/spoiler]
[spoiler][/spoiler]
[spoiler][/spoiler]
[spoiler][/spoiler]
[spoiler][/spoiler]
[spoiler="Entrance to Wrecked Ship"][/spoiler]
[/spoiler]
[spoiler="Wrecked Ship"][/spoiler]

With my renewed interest in hacking, progress should start coming along nicely in the coming months. With that said, this is not going to die unless I do.

Alexi Laiho

The pictures are beautiful .. and the video ... publish the beta or the full game?

Tyjet66

I'm going to publish the whole game eventually, I've been working on this project for a long time, and I still have a long way to go.

Yonowaaru

Looking good!
Also vote for Solaris

begrimed

I like the level design and your color choices. Very reminiscent of the original in many ways. Not too thrilled it being a hard hack, though. I'm sick of hard hacks. Just don't go too overboard, or people won't be enjoying this as much as you want them to. Keep a bulk of the difficulty present in the puzzles themselves, and not in the "Hurry and infinite bomb jump up this long-ass shaft before lava fills the room and kills you!" sorta way.

Look forward to it either way. Godspeed.

squishy_ichigo

* squishy_ichigo cracks his knuckles

Alrighty, where to start?  I guess the first thing to point out is the heat effect reverting your suit back to its original palette. This is easily fixed, beauty salon -> condition -> heat, you can either copy/paste your palette for all of it, or use the "heat glow" button for a nice effect.

Next off I want to say I really like the purple in what was green brinstar. That and the black/whiteish Crateria are the only palettes I liked though. I'm not a big fan of using a different color for doors, it really only creates confusion for players, and has no real advantages.

Crateria for the most part seemed well tiled (asides for the bgs... those could be much better), but what was shown of Norfair could use some work.

Other than that though, it looks pretty good. Good job buddy! :D

Tyjet66

Quote from: Yonowaaru on August 12, 2010, 05:12:19 PM
Looking good!
Also vote for Solaris
Voting hasn;t started yet, but thanks.

Quote from: Grime on August 12, 2010, 05:13:00 PM
I like the level design and your color choices. Very reminiscent of the original in many ways. Not too thrilled it being a hard hack, though. I'm sick of hard hacks. Just don't go too overboard, or people won't be enjoying this as much as you want them to. Keep a bulk of the difficulty present in the puzzles themselves, and not in the "Hurry and infinite bomb jump up this long-ass shaft before lava fills the room and kills you!" sorta way.

Look forward to it either way. Godspeed.

It's not going to be very hard, I only consider it hard when compared to Stardust (my other hack), the only part I would consider hard is the hell runs, but I'm making all of those beatable with a couple moderate mistakes, so it's not like Redesigns. And I hate IBJ so don't worry about it.

Quote from: squishy_ichigo on August 12, 2010, 05:13:35 PM
* squishy_ichigo cracks his knuckles

Alrighty, where to start?  I guess the first thing to point out is the heat effect reverting your suit back to its original palette. This is easily fixed, beauty salon -> condition -> heat, you can either copy/paste your palette for all of it, or use the "heat glow" button for a nice effect.

Next off I want to say I really like the purple in what was green brinstar. That and the black/whiteish Crateria are the only palettes I liked though. I'm not a big fan of using a different color for doors, it really only creates confusion for players, and has no real advantages.

Crateria for the most part seemed well tiled (asides for the bgs... those could be much better), but what was shown of Norfair could use some work.

Other than that though, it looks pretty good. Good job buddy! :D

I'm going to go back to the original suits, thanks though. I'm glad you like some of my tileset changes. As for the doors, they are only slightly altered and will keep a similar appearance to the original to remove said confusion. I will work on bgs at a later date, haven't gotten into that yet, and yes, I know Norfair can use some work as I'm not very experienced with that tileset.

Parabox

My vote goes to Stardust 2. If this is akin to it, then to me it's a spiritual successor at the least.

Quietus

Pretty much echoing my reply on m2k2 here, but it's great to see you back.  As you know, I loved Stardust, and can't wait to play this too. :cheers:

Keep us posted, and happy hacking.

* Quietus gets his speedrunning shoes back on.

P.S. For those wishing to see Tyjet's original hack, Stardust, I will shamelessly plug my speedrun. :heheh:

EDIT: Oh, and I'd like to suggest Starburst for the name, as it's a similar name, but 'burst' implies more danger. :^_^:

Borderjumper67

Loved Stardust,Can't wait to play this.
NAME IT PORK CHOP!

Alexi Laiho

call it angel dust ... is the name of true heavy metal band?

Riffman81

I second the Stardust 2 vote! Stardust was a great hack IMO. I found it to be quite fun to play as well. Looking forward to more info on this one.

Tyjet66

Here ya go:
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Just a small taste of what I've done today.

Quietus

If you're posting everything on both sites, it'd probably be easier if I just reply here:

Your BTS in the walls strikes again. :heheh:

Tyjet66

Quote from: Quietus on August 13, 2010, 06:13:41 AM
If you're posting everything on both sites, it'd probably be easier if I just reply here:

Your BTS in the walls strikes again. :heheh:
Yea, I'll be posting everything on both sites since some people only use 1 or the other. And yes, my wall BTS's are amazing!

Hiroshi Mishima

Pretty much that, as it's part of what made me dislike Redesign on top of the whole physics problems. Actually, it's the sort of thing that turns me away from a decent chunk of ROM hacks in general. A lot of people seem to think that difficult = better. But insofar as I'm concerned, if it plays like Stardust but is simply a bit more challenging, then I'm all for it.

I don't really care what you name it, although Starburst was an interesting choice. Sounds too similar, though.

Tyjet66

Quote from: Hiroshi Mishima on August 13, 2010, 02:12:38 PM
Pretty much that, as it's part of what made me dislike Redesign on top of the whole physics problems. Actually, it's the sort of thing that turns me away from a decent chunk of ROM hacks in general. A lot of people seem to think that difficult = better. But insofar as I'm concerned, if it plays like Stardust but is simply a bit more challenging, then I'm all for it.

I don't really care what you name it, although Starburst was an interesting choice. Sounds too similar, though.
You'll be able to run through this hack pretty quickly similar to Stardust, but the item progression is much more strict and I disagree with the difficult = better position so don't worry, this will not be one of the "hard" hacks, just moderate for diffculty, most of the difficulty comes from tricks (explained in the first post) and the hell runs. The hell runs, while difficult, are quite easy to pass within your first 3 tries and allow for a couple moderate mistakes.

Hiroshi Mishima

Then I shall look forwards to its release. :D

Power Missile

I'm not too fond of calling it Stardust 2.  It sounds a bit too unoriginal and lazy for a hack like this.  If it has to be that name, then it should be like Stardust 2: [insert name here].  I don't know why but considering what I have to do I feel like calling your hack Turbo Metroid.

By the way, what is the name of the song on your video?  I heard it before but can't remember the name.

Tyjet66

Quote from: Power Missile on August 16, 2010, 07:45:19 AM
By the way, what is the name of the song on your video?  I heard it before but can't remember the name.

Urban epidemic by DJ Britt
Download link:
http://bit.ly/szqkz

begrimed

Since it's been called _____ for so long, just use the name "Underlying"

Tyjet66

And we now have our name!!!

Super Metroid: Supernova!

I'm going back and updating my old Norfair rooms, what do you think?
[spoiler="Old"][/spoiler]
[spoiler="New"][/spoiler]

Yonowaaru

.... I should have claimed this name when I thought of it 2 weeks ago...
Oh well, it means it's a good name :D

Power Missile

Better have the Nova Beam in there then...  Nah just kidding.

Ehh, it might sound a little better to me if it was Super Nova Metroid, but hey, it isn't my hack.

DSO

Those are some nice changes to that room, everything's looking a bit better. I really look forward to this and am hoping it has that same atmosphere Stardust had, that sort of "Playing this more only makes me want to play this more" feeling.