News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Room of the Week 2014 - Archives

Started by Quote58, April 19, 2012, 09:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vismund Cygnus

Quote from: snarfblam on October 13, 2014, 04:41:17 PM
Maybe it's just me, but this looks out of place.
I have actually fixed that in the same way Quietus suggested. The screenshot is just a good 4 months old and had the same thing pointed out to me when I showed it to people then. I guess I forgot to update with the fixed version, but I mostly threw it in to bolster numbers.
Anyway, I abstain from voting because fof's is just big old Pink Brinstar and Jefe's, though the palette is quite nice (I preferred the more lush plants though), is just really, really weird and odd and strange in an I dunno what way. I think it's the pockets.

Grimlock

Time for more tablet typing pain, I don't know why I don't do this on my desktop.  Anyway, on to the rooms...

Good rooms this week.  I'm leaning mostly toward Vismund.  Nice color choices.  I do have to say I didn't catch the reflection the first and second time I looked at the room.  I don't know the limitations in SM editing but if you could somehow modify the color of the contents of the reflection it would benefit from it.

I have say after being constrained by the graphics limitations on the NES (8-bit) I can see a lot of potential for custom graphics going unutilized with a lot of the SM hacks.  Do most SM hackers prefer the vanilla graphics (with modified color)?  I've been struggling with polishing my M1 graphics due to NES limitations (transparency + 3 colors, limited preset color choices).  On the surface it seems like editing graphics for SM would be so much easier.  Maybe there's more to it.  Or is there a lack of interest in creating custom SM graphics in general?

Cloud20

Vismund for me.

These palettes + water reflections are so beautiful  :^_^:

Jordan5

Quote from: Cloud14 on October 16, 2014, 02:10:18 PM
Vismund for me.

This.

It's what i've always wanted to do with criteria but never managed to pull it off. Nice one Vis :^_^:

Jiffy

Quote from: Jordan5 on October 16, 2014, 02:16:49 PM
Quote from: Cloud14 on October 16, 2014, 02:10:18 PM
Vismund for me.

This.

It's what i've always wanted to do with criteria but never managed to pull it off. Nice one Vis :^_^:

It was Vismund's Criteria to do this to Crateria. (Pun intended, and spelling just so you know  :^_^:)

Quietus

Quote from: Grimlock on October 16, 2014, 01:16:28 AMI don't know the limitations in SM editing but if you could somehow modify the color of the contents of the reflection it would benefit from it.
I suspect that there's actually a layer of water over those tiles, so they'd appear darker / patterned in-game.

Quote from: Grimlock on October 16, 2014, 01:16:28 AMMaybe there's more to it.  Or is there a lack of interest in creating custom SM graphics in general?
Not really.  It's pretty much a case of ripping them from the game, then redrawing what you want, so it's not really any different.  As for lack of interest, not really.  Both hackers and players all have varied tastes, with some preferring new or customised stuff, some preferring altered vanilla content, and others preferring completely vanilla content.

TobiMikami

Quietus pretty much just summed up why Super Metroid hacking's definition of "Good" is different by person to person. Someone who only does custom tiles will probably overlook vanilla rooms, where as a hacker who works mainly with vanilla may appreciate all works of a hack and consider "Good" based on what was done with what they decided to work with, custom or vanilla, or whatever blend in between. That's why judging a room on being "Good" based on stuff like custom tiles being used and all that garbage is kind of inconsiderate to those who put a lot of effort into making a really great vanilla room.

Grimlock

Well you have to agree, if you have two nicely done rooms, one vanilla, one custom on the graphics front the room with the custom graphics (if done nicely) is going to win almost every time.  I think most people appreciate the additional amount of time and effort put into custom graphics even if they are ripped from other games.  It's just one place where they went the extra mile in an effort to create a unique gaming experience for the player.  I don't think it's inconsiderate in any way shape or form to factor it in when voting.  The guys who make vanilla graphic rooms have the same opportunity to learn graphics editing methods as the guy who actually put the hours in.

Jiffy

Don't you just looooooove this tileset?

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Okay, I'm sorry.  :lol:

TobiMikami

I like the door but that tileset is starting to give me Ebola symptoms.

Jiffy

Quote from: TobiMikami on October 18, 2014, 02:50:56 PM
I like the door but that tileset is starting to give me Ebola symptoms.

Good thing it's going to be everywhere in Arrival!  :heheh:

Grimlock

Nestroid hasn't been represented in a while:

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Quietus

Jefe: You could consider darkening the door, as it stands out like a sore thumb at the moment.  Compare it to both your grapple blocks and the statue, and you'll see what I mean.

Retroo

can the player see the spikes after the morph? jefe

TobiMikami

MetroidMst

Quietus

The only suggestion I'd make for that room would be to lengthen the lower ledge on the right.  I'm assuming that it's to help players up to the door, so the jump may as well be easy, rather then curling out round the upper ledge. :^_^:

Grimlock

Retroo

just really simple stuff =P
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Jordan5

Retro, in the bottom left-hand corner, a pipe just stops mid air as it reaches a 45 degree slope tile - please fix this before the competition starts.

Mst, as you know I think that's a great tileset and the orange palette you've made fits very well with the CRE tiles. It's such a great room, your use of layering looks good so it seems I will be raging slightly less at your next hack :heheh:

Alisa Orlova

Quote from: Jordan5 on October 19, 2014, 01:37:12 PM
Retro, in the bottom right-hand corner, a pipe just stops mid air as it reaches a 45 degree slope tile - please fix this before the competition starts.
Wow, this is awesome! I always learn something new about Europe! You won't believe, but in Russia we call this side as - left!

Retroo

Quote from: Jordan5 on October 19, 2014, 01:37:12 PM
Retro, in the bottom right-hand corner, a pipe just stops mid air as it reaches a 45 degree slope tile - please fix this before the competition starts.

Mst, as you know I think that's a great tileset and the orange palette you've made fits very well with the CRE tiles. It's such a great room, your use of layering looks good so it seems I will be raging slightly less at your next hack :heheh:
I fixed it now but right corner? thats the left corner =P

TobiMikami

I have the strangest desire to make an "In Soviet Russia" joke now. Also MST's room for the win.

Alisa Orlova

Quote from: TobiMikami on October 19, 2014, 02:21:36 PM
I have the strangest desire to make an "In Soviet Russia" joke now. Also MST's room for the win.