News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Room of the Week 2014 - Archives

Started by Quote58, April 19, 2012, 09:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quietus

Grime for me this week, simply 'cause it's purdy. :^_^:

On a different note, DSO's room should be named Shrugs, because every time I look at that pillar thing, I can't help but see a shrugging totem. :razz:

jk16bit-palmy-

Quote got my vote :whoa:. Mostly because dat contrast is AMAZING. I LOVE snowy themes and maybe once this contest is done, you could share that snow GFX tileset. It looks VERY good. Well done Quote!

Vismund Cygnus

Hi, I'm Vismund, and I enter this a lot.
[spoiler=<Grime> My favorite hacks tend to be the ones that keep the design simpler and very vanilla-esque.]
I happen to agree with Grime, and it seems to be a general trend that a lot of the very popular hacks (Redesign, Z-Factor) tend to be very vanilla in terms of appearance.

I might be working on something. ETA 2020  :heheh:
[/spoiler]

Quietus

Quote from: Vismund Cygnus on February 26, 2014, 01:44:09 AMI might be working on something. ETA 2020  :heheh:
-ish.  Always remember the -ish, for safety. :wink:

DSO

Quote from: Quietus on February 26, 2014, 04:34:18 AM
Quote from: Vismund Cygnus on February 26, 2014, 01:44:09 AMI might be working on something. ETA 2020  :heheh:
-ish.  Always remember the -ish, for safety. :wink:
I wonder what the E in ETA stands for?

Smiley

Quietus

Quote from: DSO on February 26, 2014, 03:24:19 PM
I wonder what the E in ETA stands for?
Depends on the ETA.  It makes me think of this hack run-down:
[spoiler=Hack ETA]Enjoyable Time Ahead
Exquisite Tile Alignment
Enhancing Tweaks Abound
Edging Toward Adventure
Energy Tank Acquired
Executing Tricks Aplenty
Enemy Tactics Avoided
Enormous Titan Annihilated
Escape Timer Activated
Excellent Time Achieved
:cool:[/spoiler]

Quote58

Sooooo, just to remind everyone this rotw still only has vismunds entry, so unless everyone is scared of it someone should probably enter.

snarfblam

I'm not afraid to face Vismund.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Quietus

I've voted for Vismund, because Snarf's room reminds me of Mr Mime, and is therefore scary. :whoa:

Vismund Cygnus

Hello.
[spoiler=Snarfy]I wouldn't call that room anything special. As always, your palettes are awesome, however I've seen what you can do with that tileset, so this room's a bit underwhelming.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Cygnus... Vismund Cygnus.]I decided to see what I could do with the default Green Brinstar, however the default blue background makes the tiling look dodgy as hell so I substituted it for a pretty green in the hope that nobody would notice.
Fun fact 1: Green Brinstar tiles like ass.
Fun fact 2: You can jump right across that room in one tremendous, well-placed leap.
Fun fact 3: This whole area might be intended to be something hilarious if I can get it working.
Fun fact 4: That hilarious thing would be a minihack of its own.[/spoiler]

snarfblam

There was a pun attached to my room, but my post was pretty much immediately archived. Oh well.

The Monster of Surrealton

EDIT: My mistake. Missed the submitting period.

Vismund Cygnus

Hey look it's a room
[spoiler=The Room][/spoiler]
[spoiler=About this room]I decided that I don't know how to use enough tilesets, so I started trying to make something using the Wrecked Ship. Then I remembered that Wrecked Ship looks like crap so I used this instead. I'm not sure if it looks good, I think I need to do some palette editing a bit but that's okay.
Also yes the room is cropped weirdly but that's because the last few columns of tiles on the right have nothing in them. It looked dodgy so I fixed it a little.[/spoiler]

Quietus

I think the parts that comprise the walls look a bit jumbled, and it makes it hard to pick out any detail.  Sometimes, less is more, or something like that. :^_^:

Jordan5

Shit man, did you draw that? It looks awesome! :grin: Good luck finding someone who will beat you this week :lol:

Quietus

I believe it's GF_Kennon's work.  It's probably available in the Patches section. (Rustworks?)

Quote58

hm, so I guess this week has run over far enough that we should just treat it like the next week.
I mention this because I have a room here, but I think we can take any other submissions until monday as if it were the next week.
That all being said, here's a room.
[spoiler=Been a while][/spoiler]
[spoiler=In game][/spoiler]

Vismund Cygnus

Quote, I love that tileset of yours, and I'll almost definitely "borrow it" at some point. One thing I will say is that the slopes on the platforms tile a bit oddly, you could probably use the existing tileset to create one that works a little better (as I know that using the other existing slope in the Maridian tileset will cause the same problem for the bottom of the platform).
Also, solely from the out-of-game perspective, the two palettes for the different tiles could be a little bit closer to each other. And those Maridian slopes need a little fixing, because those random little bits coming off of them look weird as heck.
My only other suggestion would be to put some of the Craterian filler tiles behind the maridian tiles as well, so that the transition isn't so huge.
I do think this room looks amazing btw, my criticisms are only very minor.

Scyzer

Quote from: Quote58 link=topic=399.msg36207#msg36207

This tile confuses and infuriates me.

Quietus

The only minor niggle I'd add would be that it looks a little inconsistent having the nice 22.5-degree slopes on one side of the room, and the other side using only the normal 45-degree slopes.

personitis

Quote from: Scyzer on March 21, 2014, 11:40:01 PM
This tile confuses and infuriates me.
I'm going to guess that tile exists in that location because being on layer 2, there would be some black space between the "foreground" tile and background tile there since the Crateria tile isn't flat like he one currently used. Personally, if that's the case, I could settle for one little thing like that instead of some random metallic tile sitting around. That or make one special tile. :grin:

Quietus

Quote for me.  I'm not a lover of the tileset Vismund used, and I felt the room look cluttered with filler.

Zero One

Quote for me too. Vismund's room is just too plain. There's nothing really going on there.

Jordan5

Definitely Vismund, that rooms looks great. Quote's is nice but it could do with a little polish, although the bits I'm thinking of probably aren't even visible in game. :lol: