News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Metroid: Super Mission

Started by Phazar, May 17, 2009, 06:17:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Physics changes, or no?

No walljumping
Walljumping
Increase gravity(fall faster, etc)
Keep Vanilla Physics(normal SM)
1, but 4
3, but 2
Change both(1, 3)
No physics changes(2, 4)

Phazar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INd2UvNQgq0#lq-lq2-hq

This is going to be a remake of the original Metroid game, 16-bit style! It originally started back in February as a mini-hack project, but soon became a full-length hack project(then secret). There will be plenty of new stuff here as well, so don't expect it to be exactly the same as the original game.

Crateria: 100% complete
Brinstar: 95% complete
Norfair: 10% complete
Kraid: 5% complete
Ridley: 50% complete
Tourian: 100% complete

GF_Kennon

Very nice Phazar, BTW would you like me to host it on youtube?

also what was with the sick Geemer and door opening the wrong way and a tile error and *rambles on*

damn it phazar, just ask and we will help.

Digital_Mantra

Zhs2

Yeah, Youtube it biatch!

There does not seem to be an autoembed for screencast vids, so you'll have to make do with something else.

Phazar

Sorry, but since the old forum had HTML tags available, the video was embedded on the page, so when I copypasted the old topic here, the embed no longer worked.  Anyways, here are some screenshots:

GF_Kennon

Metroid Super Mission Trailer

Ta da, uploaded, now update your first post  :icon_razz:

Black Falcon

Simply because it's an oldschool metroid remake I can't wait to play this! :icon_biggrin:
Just one question: What's with phantoon and draygoon? Are you going to put them in?

RealRed

Phazar

I am probably not going to put Phantoon and Draygon in the game.  This hack will focus more toward the original game, with new stuff here and there of course.

Digital_Mantra

DSO

I'd like to see a remake of Metroid done Super Metroid style that includes functioning secret worlds >_> (As well as an actual way to get to them, since X-ray climbing up to them would be retarded)

Phazar

Actually, there aren't that many completely new things quite yet.  My main plan is to stay true to the original for the most part, but add a few things so that you won't be bored.

RealRed

I'll just post this here... something I want to see in your hack, phazar. :)

Draconis Kenjishiya

Very nice. I was hoping someone would do this =] looks epic man.

Fizzer

A good way to block Tourian would be to have a jump across lava (obviously you cant get out of the lava from the left) and have two gate PLMs above the lava preventing the jump, these two gates disappear when the PLMs for the doors out of Kraid and Ridleys rooms do.

Lunaria

You could make a solid PML that checks if the bosses are dead or not. It should be that hard to make if it only checks kraid and ridley.

Also I'm still in love with what you did to kraids room.

RealRed

you could also have some door write to phantoon and draygon's dead bits.
I'll make that for you if you want.

Fizzer

If you plan on using the statue and doing something like that then obviously youll have to edit the GFX :P

Phazar

The statue is FX1, actually.  However, the Statue FX1 only seems to work in that room.  The Phantoon-and-Draygon-killing-door has been suggested to me numerous times by Bloodsonic on IRC, so I will most likely try to get that to work as soon as I find out how to make it work.  Also, another thing to try could be editing the two unneeded bosses' sprites into regular enemies, so that when you kill those seemingly-normal enemies, the statue will work.  That, however, would take quite a bit of GFX work.

DSO

I'd also recomend the door route. The door kiling idea would be much easier than altering boss GFX, and if you really don't want them to know what the enemies were, it'd be a lot tougher to change how the bosses work than just having a door kill them off. Plus, there's at least 3 people in metconst who know everything that's needed to figure out how to make a boss killing door.

Also, this means you could set up "boss is dead" roomstates to make full use of this door, wherever you want to put it.

Phazar

Here's a little "demo map" I've put together(Ignore the "Crateria" title at the top; I am combining Crateria and Brinstar into one area.  Also, that stuff at the bottom are just unused rooms that I am storing there to avoid losing them in the blackness.):

RealRed

looks kinda like hacking is moving a bit slowly for you, eh?

Phazar

No, I'm just the type of guy that considers the completion of rooms more important than mapmaking.  But I'll be working on this hack a lot more now that I'm out of school.

DSO

I personally thought that the "slowness" would be because he's also got that Fusion project he might be working on at the same time.

As for laying out the map, you don't really have to go to the trouble of rebuilding the whole thing elsewhere. Just enter a room, move it to an unused spot, take an X tile or whatever and just fill up the entire room's area on the map. It would certainly take less time and effort.

Phazar

Here's my new Orange Brinstar tiles:

I know the palette looks bad, but this is the best I can get it ATM with the Graphics Editor.  I may have to do a bit of GFX editing in TLP to get it to look right.

Edit:
* Phazar screws around a bit more with SMILE's Graphics Editor.

Ok, Which is better?