News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

[SM] S. Metroid Music Format?

Started by Mettyk25jigsaw, March 31, 2013, 08:48:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mettyk25jigsaw

Can anyone tell me what file format super Metroid uses for it's music? Anyone who could kindly answer my question, it would be greatly appreciated...

Quietus

Crashtour99

The only "files" it has are .brr data clips for specific sounds loaded to ARAM.  Otherwise it's all just raw data, and it doesn't have music files any more than it has enemy files, room files, plm files, etc.  One however can use programs to rip the data from the ROM which are then constructed into stand alone music files (.spc) which can be played in a media player with the proper codec.

Metaquarius

Quote from: Scyzer on April 28, 2012, 08:22:53 PM
To make custom music, you have to manually write the music out using Super Metroid's own format. There's no way around this: you cannot just stick an mp3 or spc file into the rom and expect it to work. You'll need to set up pointers for each chunk, which includes sound samples, ASDR settings, loop pointers, pitch tables, and finally the tracker. Once that's done you just write out the tracker for the song (which is pretty much just writing the song, in hex/asm). When the whole song is finished, just add another pointer to the song table and point to the song.

Quietus

That makes sense why I didn't find much when trying to confirm they were .spc files.  I was almost certain that it was correct, but that would be all too simple, wouldn't it. :^_^:

messiaen

There's a more "hacky" way, just replacing the sequenced data of a particular song. Problem is you'll be limited to the instruments available in that sequence.

Here is the source for my fully working .mml to N-SPC Metroid (except for intro support, I was lazy to add that but it would be simple), check out SMWCentral for examples on MML.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/55900077/NSPC/metroid_mml_to_nspc.rar

Feel free to use this as you wish.

Black Falcon

Hm...
I already thought about writing a program that lets you edit everything sound/music specific in SM, but I never felt like do doing so...
Also I don't like the way the samples are just cluttered together so you can't really rip entire sample, as there are bytes remaining when following the sample data start-to-end pointers used to define instruments.

The rest is basically just other pointers and some note setup stuff.
I also got some notes about sound FX and how to change them, but more investigation is needed to figure all libraries out.
Kej unknowingly ripped them when he was disassembling the spc engine in his documentation, as they are displayed as code there.