The Great Metroid Construction Collaboration Hunt - Post your resources here!

Started by Zhs2, July 20, 2009, 07:55:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crashtour99

Since it was easy, and I was kinda bored, I made this...

Energy tanks no longer completely refill health. instead they only refill one tank's worth of energy.  Easily editable for folks who have energy tanks that aren't the typical 100 energy in size.  *note: does not work with e-tanks that have varying energy quantities (think differing missile quantities in Redesign)*

JAM

Item PLM format explaination

I hope, it's clear enough to everyone. If not, just ask.
If you found this guide useful, please give me a credit.

begrimed

Zelda 3 spike blocks in Super Metroid
* All coding by Sadiztyk. I only provided the graphics/palette.

Zelda 3 spikes in Super Metroid.

Instructions for using it are in the zip file.

Zhs2

A_red_monk_called_Key

Here is 1 and 2 of 7 ships i'm makeing for the community

Ship 1                                             Ship 2 (wings can be cut to fit in small places)
the color palette is easy to change, and i left the red glow at the end of the palette so you could make changes if needed

red glow has to be changed one color at a time the colors are at:
$6CA54-00        $6CA78-00        $6CA9C-00
$6CA5A-00        $6CA7E-00        $6CAA2-00
$6CA60-00        $6CA84-00
$6CA66-00        $6CA8A-00
$6CA6C-00        $6CA90-00
$6CA72-00        $6CA96-00

(If you use this I don't need credit for it)

A_red_monk_called_Key

this ship was just pulled out of Parasite Echo and replaced with a Death Glider type ship. it's 3 of 7 and here is 4 of 7

Ship 3                                           Ship 4

the color palette is easy to change

if you whant to change the red glow to a diffrent color it has to be changed one color at a time the colors are at:
$6CA54-00        $6CA78-00        $6CA9C-00
$6CA5A-00        $6CA7E-00        $6CAA2-00
$6CA60-00        $6CA84-00
$6CA66-00        $6CA8A-00
$6CA6C-00        $6CA90-00
$6CA72-00        $6CA96-00

Smiley

Ships 1 and 3:
Holy motherf-ing God, they're AWESOME!

Ship 2:
Pretty good, but not even near as good as 1 and 3.

Where'd ya get such talent? I can't even draw Kirby without getting him look all retarted.

JAM

Red-M0nk3y
There are very beautiful ships! You have a really nice art skill.

PLM repoint patch v1.11
Originally posted here:
Super Metroid Wiki
and edited by me a little.

What is changed from the patch located above:
1. PLM will be no longer cleaned from the bank $8F
2. Bank $E0 will be no longer filled with 00's
3. Bank $E1 will be no longer filled with FF's
4. Code in bank $82 is relocated to avoid conflicts with other patches.
5. ASM file is written by me so make repoint to any desirable bank.
6. ASM file is fixed.

I did all this to make this patch more flexible (and prevent it from overwriting banks $E0 and $E1 even if the ROM was already expanded).

Free space used:
17FFB..17FFF
27F87..27FFF

1. Download the archive.
2. Open ASM file and set bank there.
3. Patch IPS file with ASM file (yes, I'm pervert).
4. Apply patched IPS file to the ROM.
5. Copy the whole bank $8F to new destination using program Bank Buddy by Jathys to have all PLMs from original game at their places. [Optional].

EDIT: ASM file is fixed and both files are placed inside archive.

Crashtour99

As some of you may know, I've been working on disassembling space pirate AI's, with the hope that I might be able to create better ones in the future (ones that aren't absolutely retarded).

In the process I've had a lot of help from Sadiztyk.  Especially when it came to figuring out special enemy tilemaps.  Without her, this wouldn't have been possible.

The document attached to this post contains information about those special enemy tilemaps and their format (used not only for space pirates, but Phantoon, and probably other bosses as well).  Have fun and go wild with this information.   :grin:

P.JBoy

This needs to be made perfectly clear.  SMILE checks a byte in the ROM to see which bank to load the PLM populations from, the byte it checks is part of an LDA instruction.  The two bytes it tells you to change a PEA instruction and the aforementioned LDA instruction, and this works - until you want bank $C0 or above.  At that point you need to use a patch, the patch JAM posted supposedly works; I made one back in 2009 as well, one which doesn't use any freespace (see the attachments).

If you choose to use the IPS, the same bytes as SMILE says need to be changed.  The ASM was written for xkas v0.14 and uses 4-space tabs.

squishy_ichigo

Template v1.2.1.rar
----------------
Template v1.2.ips
Template Notes.rtf
mdb.txt
level_entries.txt
QUICKMET.BIN
----------------
Finally, I finish working on this! This is a clean slate for those starting a new hack.

If you know what you are doing, and you are starting a new hack, this is for you.
If you don't know what you are doing, go learn.
If you are not starting a new hack, then this isn't for you.
Again, let me say this for those that lack common sense. DO NOT patch this to your ROM unless you are a highly experienced Super Metroid ROM hacker, AND you are starting a new hack.

PLMs repointed to $B8, $8F and $83 cleaned out minus necessary data, and the default data that I put in to start you off. Same with graphics tables, tiles, and palettes. Enemy pop and set also cleaned out.
----------------
Update Notes:
--v1.1--
- Fixed a bug with the PLM repoint causing the game not to work.
- Cleaned out $83, which I had neglected to clean out by accident.
--v1.2--
- Re-repointed PLMs to $B8 due to the game being unable to read them at $CD.
- Shifted All gfx down a bank due to PLM repoint.
--v1.2.1--
- Added 'QUICKMET.BIN', Instructions on how to use this file are in the updated 'Template Notes.rtf'.
- 'Template v1.2.ips' is still the same, no need to re-patch or change anything.

Quietus

I'd like this guide to be added to the 'Docs' section.  It's a guide detailing exactly how to create movies.  It details creating an .smv in snes9x, recording the .avi, and compressing it in Movie Maker.  I've even added a brief section on uploading to Youtube and adding the video's link here.

I kept seeing it getting mentioned, and thought I'd create this guide, so that we can just link to it instead of keep retyping the method for people.

Hope it helps! :^_^:

A_red_monk_called_Key

Pretty in pink. The Zero ship is 5 of 7

there is no glow with this.

begrimed

A few of you probably remember the first SoAlien set, which was fairly small. Not anymore. This is the first *complete* tile table that I'm aware of. Enough for a very large area with lots'a variety - once you figure how to use it. The tiles are kinda scattered, but all the needed pieces are in there somewhere. Gonna make a 'demo room' sometime soon here that changes the landing site into a big room with tile ideas slathered all over it. For now, the goods:

[dropbox download]

MetroidMst

YES! Finally. If I may make a suggestion I would like to see how you build vertical rooms with this tileset. I'm finding lots of ways to do horizontal rooms, but I'm struggling with building something vertical.

begrimed

HOW TO CLONE ENEMIES

I whipped this guide up over yesterday and today/tonight. It teaches you how to take an existing enemy, make an exact copy of it, then change this new enemy clone's graphics, colors and DNA. Pretty extensive, but probably with a few typos and minor stuff I that should have mentioned but didn't. This is a temporary page for the guide until I finish MetCon's new site design and integrate it into that like I am with everyone else; at that point I'll go over it for any corrections. 'Til then, this is enough to get you doing cool things with creatures. So do it.

personitis

OMG Grime! I was literally thinking of needing this for my hack! :D T'ank youuuuuu! x3

JAM

Just to prevent future problems... 2 announcements.

1. For anyone who have used PLM repoint patch (mine or P.J.Boy's).
Don't use data from 78000 to 791A0 and from 7C215 to 7C800 (where PLMs were).
Use data over 7E9A0 instead. There'll be a cookie. Patch is almost ready.

2. Don't use data between 87E80 and 87FFF. I will no say more for now. Just believe me, you'll want it most likely

And for now... 4 more bugfixes. Some of them were done a long time ago but with no descriptions. Please give credit.

1. Level Entries Fix version 1.1
Just a level_entries fix for SMILE. Just download this one and replace the one in the SMILE files. Improved version originally made by Sadyztik.

SMILE shows some rooms as having way too much space or negative space available. This level_entries.txt fixes that misinterpretation by SMILE so you can edit those rooms freely.

List of fixed rooms
79A90 - Missile room with 2 states, after purple bomb passage in Crateria
7B6EE - Rock dragon room with Fireflies in lower Norfair
7DEDE - Escape room in Tourian after beating Mother Brain
7C98E - Room in Wrecked Ship with Silver Chozo, Missile Pack and Reserve Tank, Second State
7CA52 - The very top room of Wrecked Ship, Second State
7CAF6 - Mainstreet Wrecked Ship, Second State
7CDF1 - Reactor room in Wrecked Ship, Second State
7CEFB - Maridia tube room, Second State
7E82C - Debug room

Important notes
1. Keep in mind that if you have added to the level_entries after expanding rooms, you'll need to copy them over to the new level_entries.txt.

2. Empty lines are the places where you can freely add new addresses.

3. 27322D is a place where Debug room ends, but there are FF's after it, so the real limit is located at 280000.

4. 2F8000 is a limitator that prevents of overwring data in bank $DF.

5. 300000 is a limitator that prevents of overwring data in bank $80 (or $E0 if the ROM was expanded).

2. Reserve Energy Safety Fuse
A small patch that prevents player to lose remaining reserve energy when fully restoring energy with reserve tanks. No matter, in menu or when losing all energy in game in auto-restoring mode. Strange... There is a safety fuse preventing Samus from burn itself up when performing a super jump, but no safety fuse in original game when restoring regular energy with reserve tanks. It's completly harmless for most (or even all existing) hacks, because no free space is used.

3. Space Time Beam Fix
A single byte change that prevents player from using Space/Time Beam and Murder Beams by placing cursor to Charge Beam instead of Plasma Beam when going to the left from Boots frame. No longer Spazer and Plasma can be selected in the same time.

4. Heated Blue Echoes Fix
A single byte change that prevents player from losing blue echoes during acceleration in heated rooms. Happy heatrunning! =)

Scyzer

Or better yet, just down those single byte changes in the post, rather than making an IPS file for a single byte change, writing a text file explaining what the patch does and how to use it, yet still neglecting to say which byte is changed, and then putting both of those into a rar file... I spent more time downloading it than it would have taken me to open my hex editor and change 1 byte.

JAM

Yes, it may be better, but I want to compilate all my bugfixes into single patch in future to apply all of them at once.

Drewseph

YAY my first post on the forums!

While working on Redesign: Axeil Edition and with Sadiztyk's help I managed to make a dis-assembly of the Quicksand PLM which causes samus to sink.  I hope this is useful to someone who wants to change gravity and not have the quicksand totally screwed up

Quietus

Quote from: Drewseph on July 31, 2011, 04:28:24 AMYAY my first post on the forums!
I'm sure you'll be more than welcome here, since most of us probably drew inspiration from your hack.  Since you mentioned it, do you have a list of all of the changes in Axeil Edition?  I'm currently recording my 100% run, and am wondering whether it'll be worth holding off...

Bioniclegenius

Basically combined the entire Moonedit SMILE FAQ into one downloadable .txt, if that helps people any who are planning to be away from the internet for a while, :P.

Crashtour99

Bank $B2 disassembly.  Pretty much everything space pirate related (except graphics).

Uploading this here even though it's not finished yet.  Well, technically it's all there and sorted, but not much of the coding is commented yet, and not everything is labeled.  Some of it could be useful to folks wanting to mess with animation speeds and other stuff.