News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Room of the Week 2011 - Archives

Started by Phazar, January 02, 2011, 09:01:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MetroidMst

Going with Snarf. His Metroid work is great. Hoping he actually releases a hack sometime.

MultiK1llZ

Damn, I had a Room ready for this ROTW, and now i cant post it. :<_<: Well, I guess I will vote for Snarf because he makes M1 look good and that room right there reminds me of something out of Dastlevania, anyone else think so too? :neutral:

Quietus

If anything, it'd remind me a little of going up either side of the clock in SotN...

FullOfFail

Hmm...

jeff: I've messed with this tileset before, I know it's limited. But, I think what would improve this room is if you messed with the BG a little more, and make it not so copy and paste. Really though, that tileset just needs more pieces added to it, you might want to draw some.

snarf: This gets my vote. Those graphics are just sexy. I've never even played the original Metroid, but I'll probably play your hack when it gets done.

BorderJ: IMO the statues are just way too bright compared to the rest of the room. Also, at the top, the shadow tiles aren't right. Not a bad room, just needs some adjusting.

DSO: The cliffs (The foremost layer) on the right don't look right unconnected like that. I know it was intentional, but it looks like an accident. Other than that, it's fine by me.

Quietus

Since we had no entries, are we just skipping a week?

snarfblam

We're taking a week to celebrate my win, thanks entirely to Multi's lack of punctuality.

Quietus

Zhs2

I guess we'll be waiting until we get at least two. Sadface at non-submittal.

snarfblam

Well, everybody knows Multi has something up his sleeve. Who wants to throw away a good entry?

Scyzer

I has entry! :D

[spoiler]

This is my very first time using this tileset (no joke), so be gentle! D:
Took me about 10 minutes playing around with tiles to see how they fit together, and another 15 to build the room.

I left the top/lower 2 lines blank because I was running out of space, and you can't see them anyway.
[/spoiler]

Fe

My only complaint is with the background on the right side of the room. It just looks a bit... repetitive. Other than that, I'd say it looks great!

EDIT: Hope it's not too late to enter:
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Phazar

Thanks guys, now we can finally start this thing for this week.

Fe

Well, looks like I failed horribly. But who didn't see that coming?  :lol:
Heh heh, I guess I need to work on my level designing (and GFX) skills... Oh well.

X-tradyte

Can't wait 'til next ROTW. I'm posting meh Landing Site.

IMetroRat

Well, Just so he doen't fell so bad I vote for xavierSMRH

Btw I really am falling for those GFX's. Otherwise Really Nice job!  :nod:

Fe

Thanks, but you can admit it if its bad... I won't feel bad or anything. I can take criticism you know... Besides, I whipped it up in 5 minutes just so there actually could be a RotW this week. I knew I didn't stand a chance.

Silver Skree

Yours isn't bad. Sadiztyk's is better.

By the way, the grass sucks. That is supposed to be grass, right?

Fe

:lol: Just trying to make it less boring. I still need to work on the tileset, I know. Actually, I made a blue-ish pallete for it, maybe I could use this for my cold area... (obviously I would get rid of that damn grass or whatever its supposed to be) Besides, this was my first custom GFX. Of course it will at least somewhat suck.

FullOfFail

XavierSMRH, I'd highly recommend you remove the view BTS blocks next time. It's just distracting. I would never make judgments from this, but it makes it hard to analyze rooms. Although, since this room is green, it kinda goes with it. I like your room, but I'm going to give Sadi the edge because her room has more subtle detail and depth. If your FG layers were, say, different shades, I think I would've easily gave it to you. Just feels cluttered to me. I like where your head is at though.

Scyzer

Should this not have ended like 5 or 6 days ago? Who is doing RotW??

Lunaria

Maybe squishy took over again! :awesome:

Zhs2

Quote from: Sadiztyk Fish on March 17, 2011, 01:17:17 PM
Should this not have ended like 5 or 6 days ago? Who is doing RotW??
Phazar. He didn't even do anything about it when he commented on it on Monday and everyone forgot again, so I guess this is a two-week special :awesome:

I'll fix it tomorrow evening.

Phazar

Sorry, I've been busy.  Real life can be an obstacle to the job sometimes.

IMetroRat

Quietus

I'm sure I've seen that before, as I recall commenting on the permastuck just above the bottom door, if you roll into the gap where you have a slope over the flat...
You could also try making more variation in your floors, as they're nearly all adhering to the one way slope thing:

This:

____
    \____
         \____

Rather than this:

____
    \___      ________
        \____/        \____

Also, the text needs to be change for the Room of the Week itself.  It still says the same 'new thing starting this year', when that's no longer tha case! :yay: